Friday, January 24, 2014

Curried Squash Soup

From my collection of vintage cookbooklets
 Recently I tried out a delicious and very easy squash soup recipe and decided to share it with all of you.  This is from the December 2011 issue of Cook & Tell, a wonderful newsletter which was one of my favorite recipe sources.  Sadly, its creator, Karyl Bannister of Southport, Maine, has decided to cease publication.  So I'm sure she won't mind if I share this recipe, submitted by Cook & Tell subscriber Mary DiMascio, with all of you.    Here it is:

CURRIED  SQUASH  SOUP
12-ounce package of frozen squash
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon chicken broth powder (I used an equal amount of Better Than Bouillon soup base)
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste (I needed a bit more.  Frozen squash is completely salt-free.)
Pepper optional (I thought it was necessary)

Microwave the squash according to package directions.  Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan, add the broth powder, and simmer a couple of minutes.  Add the cooked squash to the broth in the saucepan, whisking gently to blend, until silky.  Add the curry powder, salt and pepper.  Serve piping hot.  Fills about 4 medium mugs or 2 bowls.

I doubled the recipe, but only used 3/4 tsp. curry powder because I just wasn't sure.  It turned out to be just right for my taste.  I also added the curry powder along with the broth powder to the water (rather than adding it at the end) because I think it benefits from a little pre-heating, so to speak.  One could easily substitute 1 cup chicken broth for the water and broth powder if you happened to have some on hand.

This is a fantastic soup, especially on a cold winter night, and so easy!  Karyl advised, and I concur, "Keep a box of frozen squash in the freezer at all times."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.