Friday, September 18, 2015

Pesto Vegetable Pizza


Photo from Taste of Home
I've mentioned how Mr. T and I are trying to eat more vegetables, less meat, etc.  One of his big concerns about this has been that he would still like to enjoy pizza.  Then he remembered how when we ate at Subway regularly a few years back, I would often order a veggie pizza.

I turned to my 2005 Light & Tasty Annual Recipes book and sure enough, they had this wonderful recipe: Pesto Vegetable Pizza.  This is far better than the one I used to order at Subway!

I haven't yet made this exactly according to the recipe as far as the vegetables go -- I've just used what I had on hand, which has been no mushrooms, sometimes grape tomatoes (sliced),  baby spinach or kale, and red peppers rather than yellow.  So far I've used homemade pesto because I had some in the freezer.  But that's almost gone, so I bought a jar of Classico®.  Much less expensive than the fresh pesto in the deli.

I used a homemade gluten free crust made according to this recipe: Best Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Ever.  I made this crust in a jelly roll pan (approximately 10x15") and  baked it for about ten minutes at 400º before adding the toppings and baking it according to the recipe. 

But you could also use a Boboli® pre-baked crust as the pizza recipe calls for -- or, use this recipe: Homemade Italian bread shells like Boboli®.

This pizza is so delicious!  We highly recommend it.  Mr. T does not miss the pepperoni one bit! 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:08 AM

    Hmmm... we had pizza last night. In fact it's one of Brandon's favorites. We use all sorts of veggies and pile them high. You can saute them before you bake the pizza if they have a lot of moisture, like eggplant and zucchini. Last night ours had onion, zucchini, and mushrooms with cheese and we also had a little hamburg left over so I sprinkled that on top, but it really wasn't needed since the pizza was loaded already. I made two... one for Mr. D to have while I'm away tonight and tomorrow. He will probably have that for lunch today though.

    See you this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd forgotten all about it, but I used to put sauteed veggies on pizza frequently when the kids were younger. It was fantastic! I'll file away your suggestions for future reference. Have you tried using pesto? What an amazing flavor that adds!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.