Saturday, February 27, 2016

Recipe reviews!

Blank printable recipe card from Graphic Garden
Last weekend I made two new recipes and combined them into one dessert.  It turned out fantastic!  I had seen Sandi's recipe for Banana Split Cake and wanted to try it for our church potluck.

 I did adapt the recipe just a tiny bit to make it a little lighter, but didn't change much.  The crust part called for 3/4 cup butter, and I tried cutting it to 1/2 cup, but that was not quite enough.  So I melted 2 more tablespoons and added them in.

And I did cut the amount of butter in half for the filling, and used 2 eggs (it called for 1 or 2) to make up for any difference.  It worked out just fine to use 1/2 cup butter; still tasted plenty rich.  (Some people have questioned the use of uncooked eggs in this dessert.  Sandi has had no problems with their use, so I went ahead and used them.  I do use good-quality eggs and felt it would probably be fine.   And it was.)

I only used 2 bananas because I only had two, and I tossed the slices with lemon juice rather than simply sprinkling it over.  My cake was going to be chilled overnight and I didn't want to take any chances with the bananas getting brown.

Photo by Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage
The only other change I made was with the topping. The recipe calls for cherry pie filling, and Sandi also suggested sliced strawberries as an alternative.  But I had bags of frozen strawberries in the freezer from our strawberry-picking this summer and wanted to use them.  So I went looking for a  homemade strawberry pie filling recipe.  This Homemade Strawberry Pie Filling from Jocelyn at Inside BruCrew Life worked admirably.
Photo by Jocelyn at Inside BruCrew Life
Jocelyn's recipe calls for fresh strawberries, but mine were frozen.  So I thawed them enough so that they were sliceable.  Then I sliced up five cups' worth and used them in the recipe as directed.  When the filling was cooked, I cooled it completely at room temperature.  I then scraped the filling into a container and chilled it overnight to add to the dessert the next morning.

I assembled the dessert all the way through adding the banana layer and then the pineapple layer and then refrigerated it overnight. In the morning, I added cool whip and then the strawberry filling layer.

The dessert turned out perfectly and got great reviews from our potluck crowd and especially from my hubby.  The strawberry pie filling would work wonderfully in many other desserts, and if you visit Jocelyn's blog, you will be sure to find more great ideas for its use.

Happy baking!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious and looks yummy!! I have been known to "tweak" recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Arlene, I am so famous for tweaking recipes. I will nearly always try to cut the fat in recipes if it looks feasible, and I will often tweak a recipe to use things on hand or make substitutions. They nearly always turn out well anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:43 PM

    Oh, my goodness! This looks and sounds delish! I love banana splits so I know I'd love this cake! Tweaking to make it yours is fun too. Thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Shelia. I have so enjoyed looking at the doll clothes you have been making. I would like to have time to sew, one of these days!

      Hope you can try the recipe when you are fully back on your feet again. It truly is delicious!

      Delete
  4. Hi Mrs. T,
    Yes tweaking happens a lot here too. It is always the best compliment when the recipe wins with the hubby. :) His is the only review I care much about. :) So, it is always a good thing when it is hubby approved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hubby likes everything I cook, pretty much, other than a tofu stir-fry I tried probably 25 years ago and have never lived down! (Even I didn't like that one.) A lot of my tweaks result from needing to make a substitution in ingredients. I will not go to the grocery store for a missing item!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, it's almost 10:00 at night and you have my mouth watering...how I would love to enjoy some of this sweet goodness :) Sandi always has such wonderful recipes, doesn't she? :)

    It's always a joy to visit you, dear one. Thank you so much for the visit to my blog and Etsy shop today - you are a sweetheart! I have everything ready to go out in the morning and did just as you requested {{smiles}} Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.