Wednesday, September 27, 2017

September 27 Hodgepodge


Gorgeous autumnal graphic from Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
Another Wednesday!  Truly, the weeks fly by so fast.  So it's time again for the Hodgepodge with Joyce and friends at From This Side of the Pond.  Head on over and get the questions, answer them on your own blog and then on back over to Joyce's to link up!  Now, for this week's questions ...

1. What pets did you have while growing up? Tell us a little something about them.

Just one, a dog, and she wasn't really my pet.   She was technically my brother's dog; if memory serves, a combination of husky, German shepherd, and wolf.  I was unable to find a picture of her here at my home, though I know there's one at my dad's.   We all loved her, but it was our dad she really bonded with, riding in the passenger side of his work truck and surveying the view with the air of a queen in a motorcade.

2. What is one thing you absolutely must accomplish today?

Soaking my husband's work clothes.  He's a logger and his work clothes become absolutely filthy. I pre-wash them in hot water, soap, and Simple Green on the heavy duty cycle.  Then I soak them for a couple of days, again starting with hot water and the same cleaners.  Then I spin that out and wash on the heavy duty cycle again.  They never get completely clean.  Too many oils and fluids get on them.

3. Where were you ten years ago? What were you doing there?

Not sure of the exact dates, but ten years ago this fall, I was in Florida!  We went by train to visit friends and ended up being surprised by our youngest daughter and her 1-year-old.  If you are interested, I blogged about it here: What I did on my vacation.

4. September 26th is National Dumpling Day. Did you celebrate? 
 
No, I had no idea there was a National Dumpling Day and may not have celebrated it had I known.

Apple dumpling, xiao long bao (steamed Chinese dumpling), chicken and dumplings, pirogi, matzoh balls, or gnocchi...which dumpling on this list would be your dumpling of choice? Have you ever made homemade dumplings of any kind?

Yes, I have put homemade dumplings on top of beef stew and chicken stew.   Not for a long time, though.  We do enjoy pierogies, but seldom have them.  From that list, I'm pretty sure an apple dumpling would be my favorite.
5. 'There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find an adventure and those who go secretly hoping they don't.' William Trogdon

So which kind are you?

Hmmm.  Good question.   A little bit of both, I guess.  I don't mind adventures, but I'm not overly adventurous.  I like visiting new places but I usually prefer to know where I'm going.  And I never like to do anything too risky.
Balanced Rock, Castleford, Idaho
Dierkes Lake in Idaho (yes, that splash was made by someone jumping off that cliff.  Certainly not me.  But one of my people.)
6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Our weather this month has been downright odd.  Someone commented at church that it seems as if  August and September had switched places.  So true ... we needed a fire in the kitchen woodstove in late August, and now September is warm (make that hot) and humid.  95º yesterday!

So ends another Hodgepodge.  Happy Wednesday, everyone!

16 comments:

  1. Agree with your #5! That Balanced Rock must have been something to see!!!

    Our September has been a beast here in Michigan too, this is supposed to be the last hot and humid day. THANK GOODNESS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposed to be the last of heat and humidity here too, Capri. I hope they're right!

      Yes, Balanced Rock is pretty amazing. Most of my family members were right up there near it. I'd made the hike before, but stayed back at the car with a sleeping baby this time!

      Delete
  2. Our September has been at least 10 degrees above normal but normal is still too hot for me at 82. We're hoping for a cool down soon. I can't even imagine going through all that for laundry. I don't like just throwing them in the washer and then the dryer. LOL Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have to do his work clothes once a week or so as he has quite a few sets. I won't try to do them with the regular laundry. I was quite spoiled with his previous job when his work clothes were cleaned by a uniform service!

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures from Idaho. As for the weather, it has been a strange one all of 2017 thus far. I mean it was downright late spring in February. While August and September are our hottest months, they are really hot and HUMID. The humidity has worn me down.
    Have fun doing the laundry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't do well at all with humidity, Sandy. I try not to complain, but will be so thankful when the weather changes.

      Delete
  4. I am not really an adventurous type but my friend, Susan, is. She is going to Israel next month with a group from our church. I told her I would live vicariously through her!! She and her husband have traveled all over Europe as well. I am more of an armchair traveler myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Arlene. I enjoy seeing different areas of our country ... really do enjoy traveling, but I haven't had a huge interest in overseas travel. Just via armchair, as you said!

      Delete
  5. We're having the same weather. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Katie! You are in MA, if I remember right. Guess it makes sense our weather would be similar.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I agree...the weather has been crazy in many areas. We are headed for a cool-down this weekend and I am SO ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposed to cool down here too, Debby. Hope the forecast is accurate!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous2:21 PM

    Oh my goodness, but the process you have to go through to get your husband's clothes clean is crazy! What a dedicated wife you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. It is crazy, and even then they never really get clean.

      Delete
  8. So true about August and September switching places. Weird!

    I can tell you that I am so unadventurous that I would not be anywhere near the balancing rock. 😉

    The discussion of work clothes certainly sounds familiar. Getting them clean is not a chore for those needing pristine results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS weird, Vee! Or maybe I should say that it "has been" weird. Today is SO much nicer. Still warm and sunny but with a nice cool breeze. I'm loving it!

      Glad you understand both my work clothes issue and my lack of adventuresomeness. I have been up near that balanced rock a few years ago, but saw no need to repeat the hike. My daughter and son-in-law tend to be very adventurous indeed, so there is always plenty of adventure when we are with them.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.