Sunday, July 04, 2021

Sunday Scripture

 

Gorgeous graphic by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings

Here's another Sunday post from my study of 2 Corinthians with Good Morning Girls that I did in Fall 2020.  This is the twelfth such post -- just one more after this!   As mentioned previously, I used the SOAP method of Bible study here, and their study guide uses a similar method.  I find this helpful for a quick little study such as this one, but even more for digging into passages more deeply.

For today, the verse to study was 2 Corinthians 12:9.

S = "And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee; for My strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly, therefore, will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."  (2 Corinthians 12:9)

O = We don't know for sure what Paul's "thorn in the flesh" was, but we do know that it was painful.  It was enough of a difficulty that he besought the Lord three times to remove it from him.  God's answer, here in verse 9, was: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness."    He did not remove the thorn, but gave Paul His grace and strength to deal with the difficulty.

A = The same things are true for us in our difficulties.  God may not choose to remove them from our lives, but His grace will be sufficient for us.  In our weakness, we can depend upon Him to be our strength.  This is so comforting and encouraging!  Scofield suggests that the reason the specific nature of Paul's thorn is not mentioned is so that all believers with any type of thorn will realize that the same consolations are also available to them.  That's very likely the reason that Paul's thorn was not named, and what a blessing it is to know that that very same strength and grace is there for us too!

P = "Lord, I'm so thankful for the marvelously encouraging truths in Your Word!  It's such a blessing to know that, while You do allow difficulty and trials in our lives, You are in these situations with us.  Your grace will be sufficient for everything we face!  We are weak, but You are strong!  We can even glory in our infirmities, realizing that Your enabling power is resting upon us.  I thank You so much for these things, in Jesus' name, Amen."

Hope these simple thoughts about some profound truths have been a blessing to someone else today!

2 comments:

  1. I am visiting via Vee’s blog. It is nice to meet you and I especially Am blessed by this post. Thank you for sharing and have a nice week. Mildred

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that this post was a blessing to you, Mildred! It is nice to meet you as well and I thank you for visiting. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.