Sunday, August 01, 2021

Sunday Scripture



As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I'll be posting each Sunday for awhile about a simple study of Psalms that I worked on last summer.  It was such a good one to be working on in 2020 -- and some of it was done while we were on vacation at places like Grand Canyon and Zion National Park.  There couldn't have been a better backdrop --so awe-inspiring and so many great reminders of just how amazing God is!

This Psalms study is another from Good Morning Girls.  These are simple studies but I got so much from them.  I like to use the SOAP method of Bible study, and the journal from GMG uses a very similar method.  I find it a real blessing whether I am studying shorter passages or longer ones, and I hope that you will give this method a try if you haven't ever done so.  

Today's study is from Psalm 113.   The reflection question this time is important to look at before we begin.  It notes: "Morning, noon and night, our God is worthy of praise.  He is unchanging and always worthy of continual praise.
"List 5 things you can praise the Lord for today, and then pause and give Him praise right where you are.  He is worthy!"

My list of 5 things:
* His sovereignty
* His omnipotence
* His goodness
* His omniscience
* His faithfulness

The verse to focus on was verse 3, but I chose to study Psalm 113:1-3.

S= "Praise ye the LORD.  Praise, O ye servants of the LORD, praise the name of the LORD.
     
"Blessed be the name of the LORD from this time forth and for evermore.
      "From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same, the LORD's name is to be praised."  (Psalm 113:1-3)

O= It is the LORD that we are to be praising -- the self-existent One who has always been and always will be.  His servants are to be praising Him! 
    This praise and blessing of God's name is to continue forever -- unceasingly.  And it will!
    God's name is to be praised from sunrise to sunset every day -- and as the earth turns, it is always sunrise somewhere!

Two cross-references for verse 3 are: Isaiah 59:19 -- "So shall they fear the name of the LORD from the west, and His glory from the rising of the sun."

and

Malachi 1:1 -- "For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same, My name shall be great among the nations, saith the LORD of hosts."

A= God is worthy of my continual praise.  Just considering the 5 things I jotted down to praise Him for ... just those 5 things alone -- make Him worthy of continual praise.  In fact, even the simple truth that He is God makes His name worthy of continual praise.  May I be continually praising Him with my lips and glorifying Him with my life!

P= "Lord, I praise You today that You are God alone!  I am so thankful that You are sovereign over all things in this crazy world.  You know everything that is happening, and You have a good purpose in all that you allow.  You are faithful to Your children through every situation in life.  Truly, Your name is worthy of my continual praise!  May I be doing just that with both my life and my lips.  In Jesus' matchless Name, Amen."

I hope that today finds you praising our wonderful Lord!

1 comment:

  1. I love this Psalm and your application of it. Yes, I often find myself praising God with the rising of the sun as well as the setting of the sun. His glory and wonders are so magnificent in the heavenlies, and also here on earth, among His children. We have an awesome God, and my lips shall praise Him all day long. Thank you for this wonderful reminder to do just that. Have a blessed and wonderful SONday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.