Monday, July 17, 2023

Happy Homemaker Monday

 


 Once again this Monday, I may not logically have time for this, but -- I'm joining Sandra for this link party over at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom

The Weather:::

A very rare sunny day!  We haven't seen the sun much in the last few weeks -- it's mostly been rain, rain, and more rain.  It's currently 81º and sunny.  Only 47% humidity which is a nice break.  There's an air quality alert though so we didn't walk.  Past experience has taught us to take these alerts seriously.

As I look outside my window:::

Everything is incredibly lush and green from all the rainy weather.  Orange daylilies are abundant on roadsides and in people's yards.  This morning I saw some gorgeous bee balm (red) in a neighbor's yard, but I can't technically see it from my window.  Below you see some red bee balm and some pink bee balm that we used to have in our yard years ago.
 
 
 
Right now I am:::
 
Working on a blog post.
 
Thinking and pondering:::
 
On this thought regarding Matthew 6:34:

“Both anxiety and worry spring from natural and legitimate concerns that are part of life in this world.  But legitimate concerns are handled wrongly when they do one or more of the following: 1) become dominating concerns in our life and lead to fear; 2) destroy our perspective on life and cause us to forget that God exists and cares; or 3) move us to drift into an attitude of constant worry and concern over a future that we cannot control.”  -- Lawrence O. Richards
 
I think that’s a really excellent summary of how it’s possible to handle concerns wrongly.

On my bedside table::: 

 A lamp, three books,  a pen and a jar of lavender-infused oil for helping with insect bites.

On my tv this week::: 

Nothing this week.

 Listening to::: 

A phoebe singing outside the window.  We have phoebes at our camp too.  There's a nest full of baby ones outside the kitchen window there.

 On the Breakfast plate:::

I do intermittent fasting so don't have breakfast.  Lunch was a salad with cubes of turkey and cheese in addition to leaf lettuce.

On the dinner plate::: 

Hot ham and potato salad, air-fried Brussels sprouts on the side
 
On the menu for this week::: 

I usually plan my menus from Thursday to Thursday, and grocery shop on Friday morning.  A few meals on my menu plan:

Egg roll in a bowl
Egg bake
Cheeseburger Pie
Fish Chowder (or, if the weather stays hot, a salad made with haddock and peas)
Enchilada skillet
 
On my reading pile:::
 
Holy Hygge by Jamie Erickson
We Travel an Appointed Way by A.W. Tozer
The Teaming Church by Robert Crosby 
 
On my to do list today:::
 
Work on blog posts
Etsy listings
Laundry √
Do a bunch of computer tasks for my hubby√
Send a note to a friend√
Reply to several personal emails 
Work on Sunday School lesson

 
Plans for this week:::

Plan menus and make grocery list
List some notions, patterns, cards, and kids' books on Etsy
Visit Story Land, a fun White Mountains amusement park as our granddaughter does a concert there (postponed from last week)
Ironing
Take a bag to the thrift store
Write blog posts, especially some for Christmas in July
Work on my Sunday School lesson
Possibly get together with friends for a picnic
 
What I am creating:::
 
January cross-stitch sampler
Felt food for some toddler birthday gifts -- nearly done with this one!
Crocheting a red, white and blue hot mat
Some "condensation catchers" out of old towels to place behind toilets that sweat in the humidity


Bible verse, Devotional, Quote:::
 
 “One of  the most vulnerable places in the believer is his thoughts.  Perhaps the devil finds entrance here more quickly than elsewhere.  Is this not the reason why the apostle Paul exhorts Christians to think of things that are ‘true, honest, just, pure, lovely, and of good report’?  Every thought needs to be brought into captivity to the obedience of Christ if the believer is to know how to refuse the thoughts that come from the evil one.  Satan also finds an undisciplined, undiscerning mind an easy prey to his delusions and ofttimes an unconscious instrument in his service.”  -- Ruth Paxson, Life on the Highest Plane
 
Oh, is that ever true!  We need to be so careful.  Becoming "an unconscious instrument of Satan" seems to be happening to more and more people.  I don’t want to be an instrument of Satan in any way and so I am going to guard my thought life even more carefully.

On my prayer list:::
 
Friends & family
Church family
Missionaries
Our country
 
And there's the Happy Homemaker Monday for this week!  
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your blog.. I love meeting folks from all around the country!! YOUr blog was a lovely taste of New England, which I love .. Our daughter lives outside of Boston..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little humidity condensation catchers are a great idea for where you live! I know you probably don't have air conditioning there and I do remember the warm humid days of summer and the sweating toilet tanks because the water was so cold...that's a great idea. The bee balm flowers are so pretty. Oh, a Phoebe nest at your camp? How sweet is that? I love to hear them saying "Phoebe, Phoebe!" Have a wonderful week. Happy thoughts help keep out the devil's thoughts. Focusing on the things God has put all around us to enjoy helps keep us thinking in the right direction! Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty bee balm, mine was purple but it's pretty much done now. Sad because I really enjoy it. Phoebes are such neat birds. Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely that things are green and lush outside. Summer's heat is taking toll around here. Lots of brown where things should be green. I do not think I know what a Phoebe is (or what it sounds like)..but such a pretty bird in that photo! Hope you are having a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer! Yes, the green is everywhere. Very restful.

      A phoebe is a flycatcher kind of bird. I should have linked to a description. It sounds just like what you might think -- its main call is "Fee-bee! Fee-bee!"

      Hope you are having a blessed week also.

      Delete
  5. humidity condensation catchers, great idea instead of a plain old towel. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.