Sunday, March 24, 2024

Sunday Scripture

 


 Here's another in our new series for Sunday Scripture!  Back in 2018, I did a simple study from Rachel Wojo called Everything Beautiful.  You can read about it here: Everything Beautiful Bible reading plan. My answers and input on this series are a combination of what I learned back then, and what I found in looking over the Scriptures now, six years later.  I'm going to attempt to SOAP the passages too, though some of them are longer. 

S= "O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon His name; make known His deeds among the people.
"Sing unto Him, sing psalms unto Him: talk ye of all His wondrous works.
"Glory ye in His holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.
"Seek the LORD, and His strength: seek His face evermore.
"Remember His marvellous works that He hath done; His wonders, and the judgments of His mouth;
"O ye seed of Abraham His servant, ye children of Jacob His chosen.
"He is the LORD our God: His judgments are in all the earth."  

(Psalm 105:1-7)

O= This psalm is titled by C.I. Scofield in the Scofield Reference Bible, "God's faithfulness to Israel."  He also notes that Psalms 104 through 106 comprise the "one particular section" of Psalms that "is historical throughout" and that these three Psalms "begin with the creation and end with the captivity."

    The psalmist gives a number of simple directives addressed to "ye seed of Abraham, His servant, ye children of Jacob, His chosen" (v. 6) in regard to "the LORD our God", [whose] judgments are in all the earth" (v. 7)     

The psalmist directs:

* Oh, give thanks unto the LORD" (v.1)
* Call upon His name (v.1)
* Make His deeds known among the people (v.1)
* Sing unto Him (v.2)
* Sing psalms unto Him (v.2)
* Talk of all His wondrous works (v.2)
* Glory in His holy name (v.3)
* Rejoice in heart as you seek Him (v.3)
* Seek the LORD (v.4)
* Seek His strength (v. 4)
* Seek His face evermore (v.4)
* Remember His marvelous works that He has done (v.5)
* Remember His wonders (v.5)
* Remember the judgments of His mouth (v.5)

A cross-reference for "give thanks" is this:  "And in that day shall ye say, Praise the LORD, call upon His name, declare His doings among the people, make mention that His name is exalted."  (Isaiah 12:4)

Cross-references for the words "make known" are unusual in that they include two entire chapters of Psalms.  I'll share a couple of verses from each one.

Psalm 78 is titled by Scofield "God at work in Israel's history".  The verses detailing His work are prefaced by these words among many others: 

"We will not hide them from our children, showing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and His strength, and His wonderful works that He hath done.
"For He established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which He commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children."  (Psalm 78:4-5)

Psalm 106 is composed of 48 verses detailing Israel's unfaithfulness and begins with the words 

"Who can utter the mighty acts of the LORD?  Who can show forth all His praise?"(Psalm 106:2)

Cross-reference for "seek His face evermore" --  "When Thou saidst, Seek ye My face", my heart said unto Thee, Thy face, LORD, will I seek."  (Psalm 27:8) 

For "remember His marvelous works" (v.5) -- "I will remember the works of the Lord; surely I will remember Thy wonders of old."  (Psalm 77:11)

For "judgments" (v.7) -- "With my soul have I desired Thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me I will seek Thee early; for when Thy judgments are in the earth the inhabitants of the world will learn righteousness."  (Isaiah 26:9)

What a day that will be!

A= For this Scripture, there were a number of ways to apply it as prompted in the journal.  

"God's magnificent wonderful work shows up in the darkest spaces." -- Rachel Wojo

The question was asked: What one thought can I surrender to create room for seeing moments of grace?

My response in 2018: The thought that this physical difficulty is all my own fault.  (Can you tell I had heard a few times that if I had only not tried to avoid the mud by stepping on the ice, I wouldn't have fallen?) The truth is, God allowed me to fall, though He knew how painful the result will be.  He has a plan and purpose, even in the darkest spaces, as noted above.

Answering this same question in 2024

My response:  Concern and dread about the future, perhaps.  We're in a very concerning place as a country, without exaggeration.  I have deep concerns, yet I must let those go (while still taking a stand for truth and right) and remember that God is in full control of all things and I will see moments of grace even in a dark space.

This prompt was given, along with a list: Today I will keep my eyes open for God's beauty in one or more of these places.

These are the places I circled: The words I read; the places I go; the music I hear; the air I breathe; the people I encounter; the weather I experience; the rest I receive.

In 2024 I can note that the places I go include stately old buildings in New Hampshire's capital city.  Built by man, yes, but with God-given vision and skill. 

 For the music I hear, I noted this: The music at our church -- piano and strings -- is truly beautiful and God-honoring.

For the food I eat, I mentioned how I enjoyed the colors and textures of vegetables I was preparing for roasting -- carrots, green peppers, onions, sweet potatoes.

For the weather I experience, I noted: A gorgeous sunny day, perfect for a long walk.

And for the rest I receive, I thanked God that we sleep so well at our little cottage, even when we stay there in the midst of winter.

A journaling prompt was this: Everything God made is beautiful.  Where have I noticed God's beauty in the last 24 hours?

My response in 2018: In the kindness of my husband's care for me; in the concern of friends; in the beauty of falling snow and a snow-covered landscape; in blue skies, winter sunshine, and the lengthening days.

My response in 2024: In the gorgeous blue-green color of a lake we were driving by; in the precise stripes of a chipmunk (a sign of spring!) darting into a stone wall; the symmetry of an evergreen tree in our woods -- like a child's drawing; in pale green lichens against gray stone.

P= "Lord, I thank and praise You so much for hearing and answering my prayers back in 2018.  One of the things I had asked was that You would help me to regain my strength as quickly as possible so that I could return to serving you more actively.

I can't thank You enough for answering that prayer.  Later that same year we were able to take our daughter and family on a wonderful Western trip to visit her sister and family.  

And now, I'm in a much healthier place, though aging is an ongoing challenge.  I praise You for the health and energy You give!  

I'm still not sue why You allowed that fall in 2018, but one thing it surely did was to increase my empathy for those who live with debilitating back pain, or any sort of chronic health issues.  It has helped me to pray in a more informed way for them, as well.

I praise You for all You have done and are doing, in Jesus' name, Amen."

And there is the Sunday Scripture for this week!  I'd love some input on this series so far.  Wouldn't you like to share your thoughts with me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.