Wednesday, September 04, 2024

Working on the hodgepodge

 


 After a little break, I'm joining in with Joyce and the gang for the Wednesday Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond.   Today's questions have a Labor Day connection.  And ... here we go!

1. Something you're working on currently?

Confederation Bridge, PEI

Getting back into real life following a short but wonderful vacation in the Canadian Maritimes.  Trying to catch up with housework and other tasks.  I'm also working as part of a team trying to pull together a missions conference at church for early October.

Bouctouche, NB
Bouctouche, NB

2. Tell us something about your first job? Was it a positive or negative experience for you? 

 It was a summer job washing dishes in a busy restaurant.  In general I guess it was a positive experience, but there wasn't much I enjoyed about it at the time.  Particularly terrifying to me was the necessity to light (with a match) the propane burner for the dishwasher.  I nearly always got someone else to do it for me.

Did your parents insist you work while in school (either high school or college) or did you work because you wanted to? 

They didn't insist I work during the school year, only during the summers.

3. Have you ever had a job that required overnight travel? How did you feel about that? 

No, thankfully. I would have hated it.

Have you ever had a job that required you to wear a uniform? 

Yes.  I waitressed at a quaint New England inn where the girls wore flowered dirndl-type dresses.  I also had a "second cook" job at that inn where I subbed for the chef on his day off and the pastry cook on her day off.  You can read about it here: Memories of a summer place.  For that job I wore a white dress similar to a nurse's uniform.  There was a dress shop in our town that also sold uniforms, and that is where I purchased the ones that I had.

Do you work better in the morning or at night? 

In the morning.

4. What's something you bake or cook that is labor intensive? Is it worth it? 

A few Christmas cookies including these:  Eggnog Logs; Sacher Torte Cookies; Mint Chocolate Spritz Trees; and these special-occasion cookies: Spritz Chocolate Sandwiches.

 
The Eggnog Logs in particular are very labor-intensive, but so many people love them that we just have to make them.  I think all of these cookies are worth the trouble it takes to make them.

Sacher Torte Cookies

Mint Chocolate Spritz Trees

Chocolate Spritz Sandwiches


5. One thing you're looking forward to in the month of September? 

A ladies' retreat at The Wilds of New England!   The sunrise photo below was taken at The Wilds of New England during a ladies' retreat one year.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I am absolutely astounded that it's already September and also astounded at how fast our calendar for the month is already filling up.

And there's the Hodgepodge for this week!  Why not head over to From this Side of the Pond and join in? 

3 comments:

  1. I've never had an eggnog log but sounds good. I would have been asking anyone else to light that match too : ) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband would love that eggnog log. But he'd have to make it. I'm just not into any labor-intensive baking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your answers. Those cookies look really good. I agree, how is already september.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.