Wednesday, June 23, 2010

To make cleaning more fun...


 
Last spring, I crocheted a swiffer cover. I really like the idea of being able to just throw the cover in the wash rather than using the disposable covers. This is the tutorial I used: Crocheted Swiffer Sock. For this first one, I followed the directions to use 2 colors of yarn.


The swiffer cover worked well and I liked using it. However, I tended not to use it because I only had one cover.  I should have followed the suggestion of the designer and made a second cover right away so I would always have a clean cover on hand. However, I hadn't done this.

I decided this week that the time had come to crochet a second cover, and made this one of my crafting goals for the week. I had planned to use 2 colors of yarn as before. But when I saw how this variegated yarn was working up, I decided it was plenty colorful all by itself.

The pattern went very quickly since I wasn't stopping to change colors. If you are using up scrap yarn for this, you might need to use 2 colors, but otherwise I would suggest just using some variegated yarn for interest rather than bothering with color changes.

Now I will have no excuse not to use my swiffer for dust mopping!

My next project will be making a button-on cover to use for wet mopping with my swiffer. This crocheted one is actually meant to be reversible, with the smooth side for wet mopping and the textured side for dry mopping. I thought this was a great idea, but it seemed to me it could be problematic with getting the cover dry in between uses, and I certainly didn't want to make more cleaning work for myself. I've found a pattern for a sewed button-on cover, and if I'm smart I will make two of them to start with!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I will be trying this crochet project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the idea, Arlene! It's very quick and easy to crochet this. You may need to "wing it" a little bit in the last round or two when decreasing, to make sure it fits your swiffer snugly enough (but not too snugly since you want to be able to remove the cover easily), but that's pretty simple to do. Have fun with this project!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.