Saturday, September 11, 2010

Avocado-Tomato Salad


Here's a recipe I tried last night with some bargain avocados and garden tomatoes. I started with a recipe I'd seen in a magazine, but changed it around a lot to suit our tastes. It's delicious, but I definitely advise making only as much as your family will eat at one meal. Leftovers are not good.

1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 Tblsp. olive oil
1 Tblsp. water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce
2 medium to large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 large ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
6 cups or more torn salad greens (I used garden leaf lettuce, but romaine would be even better, I think)

In a salad bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, water, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce until well blended. Gently stir in the tomatoes and avocados. When ready to serve, add the salad greens and toss to coat with the avocado mixture. Serve at once.

Yield: 4 servings

2 comments:

  1. M-m-m-m-m! This sounds yummy. Next time I have some of these ingredients around the house we'll need to try it.

    I have the tomatoes, but no avocados right now.

    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs. D,

    Thanks for stopping by! Yes, this is really delicious -- but, as I said, not left over. I did eat the leftover salad the next day because I love avocados and garden tomatoes and just couldn't throw them away, but it sure was not at its best.

    I actually think it might be better to make up the dressing in a jar and not use it all on the salad, but I haven't tried that. I'll be making this again the next time avocados are on sale, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.