Monday, June 23, 2014

Coconut Cream Dessert


This photo is from AllRecipes.com and looks much like my dessert.
Last week I made this for the potluck lunch at church.  It went over very well.  I've made similar desserts before and they are always well received, but this one got a lot of compliments and one request for the recipe.  I adapted this so that the crust is wheat free.  Here's the recipe as I made it:

COCONUT CREAM DESSERT

FOR CRUST:
1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour*
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup chopped nuts (or less; nuts are optional)

Sift together first 3 ingredients.  Combine with butter and nuts (if using nuts); mix well.  Press evenly into a 13 x 9-inch pan.  Bake 15 minutes at 350º.  Cool before proceeding with recipe.

* If you don’t have gluten-free all-purpose flour, you may substitute the following combination of flours: 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons potato starch (may substitute cornstarch), and 2 Tablespoons tapioca starch.

FOR LAYER 1:
8 ounces cream cheese or neufchatel cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup whipped topping (like Cool Whip®, from a 12-ounce container)

Beat together the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar.  Fold in the whipped topping.  Spread this mixture over the cooled crust.

FOR LAYER 2:
2 packages coconut cream instant pudding
3 cups cold milk

Beat together with electric beater for 2 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes or until pudding is soft-set.  Spread over cream cheese layer.

Spread remaining whipped topping over the pudding layer.  Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired.

Refrigerate until serving time.  Makes 12 to 15 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.