Tuesday, June 16, 2015

An encouraging thought for today


This pretty graphic is from Baptist Bible Hour
Life is pretty crazy right now.  There's just a lot going on, on a number of fronts.  Suffice it to say that some days (and this is one of them) I feel weighted down with concerns and responsibilities.  It's such a wonderful truth, though, that God knows all about the things that weigh us down and burden us.  And His Word has the antidote: His strength.  His encouragement.

Last week I started a study of Psalm 119.   It's basically following the reading plan from Love God Greatly, but I actually started the study a week early because I just wanted to take my time and do it on my own, plus I had just finished up the verses I'd been working on (a study on planning and priorities) and I was ready to start then.

All that to say, that yesterday morning one of the verses I chose to meditate on using the SOAP method (Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer) was Psalm 119:28 :

S= "My soul melteth for heaviness; strengthen Thou me according unto Thy Word."

O= The word translated "melteth", according to a marginal note in my Bible, literally means "droppeth."  So we could read the phrase, "My soul droppeth for heaviness."  And that soul-dropping feeling is a familiar one.  The psalmist then asks God to strengthen him according to His Word.  A cross-reference is given of 1 Peter 5:10:
"But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, establish, strengthen, settle you."  Wow!

A=  I have been in the place where my soul melts, or drops, in heaviness -- where the weight of trials seems too much to bear.  What a blessing to know that God will strengthen us according to His Word!  I Peter 5:10 is the perfect cross-reference for this.  It's the God of all grace, the same One who has called us to eternal glory by Christ Jesus, who will establish us, strengthen us and settle us as we undergo trials.  What an encouragement!

P= Lord, I thank and praise You so much for Your Word today!  I pray that You will help me to grow in my knowledge of Your Word each day and to get serious about applying it to my life.  I thank You so much that when my spirit melts and my burdens seem just too heavy, that I can trust You to strengthen me according to Your Word.  I praise You that You are the God of grace and that my difficulties are overseen by You, with my good in mind.  I thank You for how You will establish, strengthen, and settle me as I continue to choose Your ways.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

I hope that this little verse encourages someone else today as it did me!

3 comments:

  1. i hope things improve for you soon Mrs T. It is interesting that you mentioned SOAP because that was one method of doing nursing notes when I was a student nurse. it is a good method for all sorts of things. Right now I am listening to Dr J Vernon McGee as he is teaching the book of Jonah. It makes ironing or cleaning a bit easier while I listen and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki, thanks so much for your prayers! I can definitely use them! And as you think of it, you might pray for our church as well. Our pastor retired at the end of May and we are just beginning the process of a search for a replacement.

    Arlene, I have not listened to Dr. McGee but I have read some of his commentaries and they are very good. Such a great idea to listen while ironing or cleaning. I'm sure his teaching on Jonah is a blessing!

    Thanks to both of you ladies for stopping in to encourage me today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.