Wednesday, September 05, 2018

Farewell Hodgepodge


 (Above image made using a free image from The Graphics Fairy)

It's Wednesday -- time again for the Hodgepodge with Joyce and friends at From This Side of the Pond.  Sadly, but understandably, Joyce has made the decision to retire the weekly Hodgepodge.  Even as a relative newbie with the Hodgepodge myself, I had come to rely on it as a means of ensuring at least one blog post per week.  I will surely miss it, but completely understand Joyce's decision.  She has been hosting this for nearly nine years ... an incredible time commitment!

So why not join in for this final Hodgepodge? Just head on over, copy the questions, then paste and answer them on your own blog.  Go back over to Joyce's to link up, and you're done!   Here are this week's questions:

1. What has been the highlight of your summer so far? (It's still summer, people!)

I don't think I can pick just one highlight.  It may have been the wedding we attended in Maine, or meeting up with Vee,

or our recent visit to the Inn at Crotched Mountain.

Or it could be any one of the fun picnics we've enjoyed, or simple get-togethers with family or friends.

2. What do you wish you'd done more of this summer? Less of?

I should, and probably eventually will,  wish I had done more housework.  I wish I had done more walking.  My walking partner hates humidity (as do I) and was dealing with some hard things over the summer, so we didn't walk as much as we might have otherwise.  But I also wish I had spent more time at the lake.


I will probably come to wish I had eaten less ice cream, but for the moment I'm glad we enjoyed that as often as we did.

3. Something you're looking forward to on your September calendar?



A fantastic time of making memories with loved ones from far away.  Memories a little bit similar to (but in most ways vastly different from) those above, as these people are all together again for the first time in three years.

I'm also looking forward, very much, to a ladies' retreat at The Wilds of New England.

4. Best/favorite book you've read this summer?

 Have I even completed a book?  I'm nearly finished reading Gladys Taber's The Stillmeadow Road, so may have to call that the best.  I've also dipped into The Fringe Hours, by Jessica Turner, and have also been enjoying reading a cookbook -- Ken Haedrich's Feeding the Healthy Vegetarian Family.  I picked that one up at our local library and liked it so much that I ordered a copy from Thriftbooks.  Lots of good ideas in it.

I was always a reader.  Learned to read very young and always enjoyed reading, to an extreme at times.  I still like to read, but carving out time is difficult.  Hence, I am more apt to use books as seen below ...

5. Share something positive, encouraging, or uplifting here.

Oh, let me think.  I know!  Every year for the past few, I have been printing out the Best of My Days cards by Ashley at Under the Sycamore.  Every December for some time, Ashley has offered a new set of these to download and print for free.  Essentially, each card has a month's worth of numbered spaces, one for each day of the month, on which one writes the best thing that happened on that day.

I often give these as Christmas gifts to young women in my life, and usually make a set for myself as well.  (Below you see some that I have done as gifts.)  This year I failed miserably to write anything on my own set, but in August I determined to get serious about it.  As I recognized things to thank God for each day, I found my gratitude increasing so much!  This has been such a blessing in my life this month, especially when I would have preferred to complain about the heat and humidity.  I plan on continuing this for the rest of the year.

Why not try this yourself?  At the very least, why not number some notebook pages or scrap paper with the days of the remaining months and jot down a blessing each day?  You'll find it so encouraging to see all that God is doing in your life.


6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Not all that random, but it has to be a thank-you to Joyce for keeping the Hodgepodge going all these years.  A huge commitment of time and energy on her part -- and a blessing to her readers and Hodgepodge participants.  Thank you, Joyce, and may the Lord bless you as you move on in your writing and blogging endeavors.  Lots of fun family things going on in your life as well!

So ends the final Hodgepodge.  Happy Wednesday, everyone!

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your hodgepodge. The Best of my Days is a great idea. How fun to have met up with dear Vee! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was so much fun, Ellen! Glad you like the Best of My Days idea. Blessings to you as well!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your answers and many of them in the more this, less that, I felt the same way. I like The Best of My Days idea. That's cool. And how I wish I were attending a Fall ladies retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish you were too, Nonnie! I probably shouldn't be taking the time -- lots else going on this month -- but I am going to.

      Glad you like the Best of My Days. Keep your eye open for it this December when Ashley usually designs a new one!

      Delete
  3. Oh it gets a little more sad with each Hodge Podge post I read. What a gem the Wednesday Hodge Podge was and I really enjoyed reading them. No, Dear One, no one ever wishes she had done more housework. LOL! You chose well having ice cream, picnics, and family times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the validation, Vee! I feel better now! Although right now ... I am almost wishing I had done more housework so I will be more ready for vacation ... realistically I know that I did indeed choose well.

      Delete
  4. Bittersweet questions for this last Hodgepodge but I enjoyed your answers! Love the photos your shared!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terri! Glad you enjoyed the photos!

      Delete
  5. Glad you and Vee met. Bet that was fun. I love your Best Days sets! A friend encouraged me to start journaling back in May. I reluctantly started and now I just love it! Hope you have a lovely September. Are you the one who introduced me to Halo ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed fun to meet Vee. A highlight of our summer for sure.

      I would like to get more into journaling one of these days. I've done a bit of scrapbook journaling and enjoyed it, but it's been months since I picked it up.

      Nope, I've never even tried Halo ice cream. Guess I should, eh?

      Delete
  6. Meeting Vee would be a highlight for me, too! It looks like you have indeed had a busy summer, it has been so hot and humid here too, so much so that I have curtailed my walking, but started again this morning.
    So sorry to see HW end, I love to read them, Thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed such a blessing to meet Vee. My husband thought so too. He is always happy to meet friends I've come to know through blogging.

      We finally got some cool weather here, but now it's raining.

      Yes, I am going to miss the Hodgepodge a lot, but I truly understand Joyce's relief at giving it up.

      Blessings to you as well!

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you had a wonderful Summer. My highlight would definitely be when my family was home. I only wish I could have gotten to the beach more. My injury prevented me from enjoying a lot of things this summer and we had the best weather ever! Your post was interesting to read, Mrs. Tiff. Thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend. Blessings...Sandi

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.