Sunday, April 18, 2021

Sunday Scripture

 

 Back in fall of 2020,  I did a study on 2 Corinthians with  Good Morning Girls.  Somehow,  I thought I had blogged about my study, but I guess that I have not.  (I did post a few thoughts on Instagram at the time, but I know that not all of my readers are on Instagram.)  So I think that for awhile, I will plan some Scripture posts for Sundays.

These will just be very, very simple posts about my study of a selected passage for each chapter of 2 Corinthians.  I'm just going to share from my journaling of each one.  I used the SOAP method of Bible study.  Bear with me on the autumnal graphics, which are also from Good Morning Girls.  If I happen to have other graphics for these verses, I will use them.  

So for 2 Corinthians chapter 1, the passage I looked at was verses 3-4.

S"Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
"Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted on God."  (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)

O=  In verse 3, Paul blesses God, and addresses Him by several of His names:

God
The Father of our Lord Jesus Christ
The Father of mercies
The God of all comfort.

This is the God who comforts us in all of our tribulations.  One purpose of our suffering is so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the same comfort with which God has comforted us.

A=  It's such a blessing to be reminded that our God is such a personal God.  He is indeed the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort.  He has many reasons for allowing difficulty in our lives, including spiritual growth and the development of patience.  But He comforts us in all of our tribulations!  And one purpose is so that we can reach out to others in trouble, and comfort them as God has comforted us.

P=  "Lord, I thank and praise You so much that You are the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort.  These aspects of Your character bless my heart deeply.  I thank You so much for the many ways and situations in which You have comforted me.  I have felt at times even the sense of a reassuring hand on my shoulder, an assurance from You that all would be well.  I pray that You will help me to extend a comforting hand and word to those who need it most, and that You'd bring me across their paths.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

2 comments:

  1. Well, I learned something new this morning. The SOAP method of scripture study. That is a great way to organize our thinking as we study God's Word, and also to pray about the application of the verse itself. I guess I kind of already do that when I read scripture, but just never really thought of it in that kind of arrangement. That is very helpful! Thank you!! And I love the verse you chose for today. I have often used or referred to that verse in life and in counseling others. When we go through trials and tribulations in our own lives, it is first for us to grow and learn and apply to our own lives, but then we will often find that God uses our life's circumstances to help others going through similar issues in life. Nothing is wasted in God's economy. Every thing we experience is to be offered up to God for His honor and glory as He shows us how to live and grow and heal in the midst of our sorrows...and then to pass on what we've learned to others. That is what our blogs are about as well. Yes, we have fun, but we also teach and share God's blessings with others. Thank you for doing that today. I've learned something new that I already knew but just couldn't put into words! Have a blessed Sunday today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughtful post, this week reading Corinthians again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.