Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Hodgepodge for January 12

 

So it's Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond, where Joyce asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers.  Here goes!

1. What do you wish you'd done more of last year? Less of? 

I really tried to be more "in the moment" and to fully appreciate all the wonderful blessings of my life, both big and small.  Still, I could have done more of that.  Less of?  I wish I had procrastinated less.

Solar light at our little camp, last winter

 2. What's the tallest building you've ever been in? Do you have a fear of heights? 

 The tallest building I've ever been in is the Empire State Building.  I don't really have a fear of heights, but I don't like being on high places where you can see the ground through any type of gridwork beneath your feet.  That can immobilize me.  

From last February's getaway to Bridgton, Maine

3. Do you have a word for the year? Elaborate if you'd like to elaborate. 

I usually have a word for the year --  I've been doing that since 2013 -- but this year I don't have one yet.  If God shows me one (as He clearly did last year) well and good, but if not, I am fine with that.  I've had some truly meaningful words over the years and I have made Pinterest boards for each.  I may go back and review those just for some encouragement.

Another of the lovely old homes in Bridgton (2021)

4. January 11 is National Milk Day...are you a milk drinker? What kind? Your favorite recipe that calls for milk (cereal doesn't count)? 

I am not a milk drinker.  I have never liked it. My hubby does like it, so we always bought it, but in the past year or so we have switched completely to unsweetened almond milk.  He likes the vanilla flavor in his cereal, and I use the plain original variety in cooking.  I haven't noticed that it makes any difference, and the almond milk lasts much longer in the fridge than dairy milk, so we aren't constantly throwing away milk.  Probably my favorite recipe that calls for a large amount of milk is macaroni and cheese.

Pebble Cottage (February 2021)

5. What excites you most about the future? What do you miss about the past? 

What excites me most about the future: waiting to see what God will do.  What I miss about the past:  Oh, many, many things.  Too many to list.  Predictability (though in all honesty life is never truly predictable) may be high on the list.

From one of my hubby's beaver pond snowshoe hikes, last winter

6. Insert your own random thought here.

I'm getting ready to put together some simple vintage recipe packets for my Etsy shop.  I recently went through a huge accordion file of clipped recipes -- these would be ones I had clipped in the 1980s and 1990s, for the most part.  I threw away many, and am keeping a few.  The remainder I plan to put together in packs of 10 or 15, package them in either vintage wallpaper or wrapping paper, and offer them for sale in the shop.  We'll see how I do with that -- see part 2 of question 1 above.

Our little camp with its festively lighted windows in late afternoon (last week)

And there's the Hodgepodge for this week!  Head on over to From This Side of the Pond and snag the questions, why don't you?

8 comments:

  1. I loved seeing your pretty pictures of that beautiful snow. We are both Almond Milk drinkers. We started drinking it several years ago and now wouldn't drink anything else. And yes, it lasts a long time which is great because we travel a bit. Enjoyed visiting with you this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fun one! Wish I had taken time to do it. 🥴 Too late now as I have company coming.

    It was also fun to have the reminders of your getaway in Bridgton. It is a quaint town. Your cottage is so charming. Have I asked you before if it has a name?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That seems like a really cool thing to do - the vintage recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good replies on a fun post. Love the photos
    Questions 1 and 2 are things to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to wait on the Lord and see what He will do. To be in the moment is so convicting for me. I get so distracted by things that aren't important. Pebble Cottage is so charming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dropping in from the Hodgepodge. Lovely photos and interesting idea for your recipes. Good luck with the project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your photos as much as your answers. I love the old houses in Bridgeton, ME. Been through there many times in the past and once visited a tea room there, but I don't know that it is still there. It was called "Our Tea Room" at "The Maine Difference" on 22 Main Street. I have a little recipe book from there. and there is a picture (drawing) of the house on the cover. I should send you a picture of it. The house was built in the 1800's by the Brigham family, and then enlarged in 1870 by Jesse Murphy. Oh, I am not a milk drinker either, and I don't even think I would like almond milk. The only way I drink any milk is as hot Ovaltine. Now that I love! My hubby drinks milk and puts it in his coffee and cereal, so we do use a 1/2 gallon maybe twice a week. But I don't like to buy a gallon jug. Takes up too much space in the refrigerator, and it might go bad before we can use all of it up. I love all your snow pictures too. Hope you are having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good answers! I loved looking at the pictures you embedded through your answers! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.