Wednesday, November 02, 2022

Gratitude attitude hodgepodge

 

It's that time again! It's Wednesday, so time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.  This week's questions feature big concepts like gratitude, true comfort, and appreciation of beauty.   Here goes!

 1. What about your upbringing are you most grateful for? 

Oh, there are so many things, but I'm incredibly grateful to have grown up surrounded by a large extended family in farm country in the 1950s-1960s.   A more innocent time.  I could safely go anywhere on that farm by myself ... and often did.  Having my grandmother next door, and aunts and uncles and cousins all within our state (many within our neighborhood) was such a blessing too.

2. What are two or three things that bring you comfort? 

1.  The sure knowledge that no matter how bad things look in our world, God is in control and will never leave us.  He is the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort.

2.  The Psalms.  So comforting when we are hurting.

3.  Making foods that I remember from childhood.

Gorgeous, meaningful graphic from Abby at Little Birdie Blessings

3. Something beautiful you saw today? (or yesterday depending on when it is you're answering this question)

Well,  I guess it has to be this sweet little princess I spied on my daughter's Instagram.  The small town New England setting isn't too bad either.

4. Have you ever used a typewriter? Tell us a memory associated with that. 

I have used a typewriter.  Back in 10th grade I took Typing as a class.  From what I recall that was the year when I had German measles and then mono and I missed an awful lot of typing class.  Still, I learned the keyboard well and today I can type very fast indeed without needing to look at the keyboard very often at all.

5. Something you are grateful for today. 

Hot running water and functioning washing machine and toilets! Our water pump sprang a leak late Saturday afternoon, and so we were without those things until Mr. T could replace it with a new one.  So grateful for these comforts that make daily life so much easier.


6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Today I was doing some cleaning at my computer desk.  You should know that it's most often stacked with  things to scan and sell.  As I sorted through items to prioritize Christmas cards and tags, I also came upon a few other things that I've been wanting to scan.  I'd forgotten about this one below -- a page from a devotional calendar some years ago.  It also has a big concept to present, but when I saw the date I knew it had to be my "random thought" for this Hodgepodge.

And this week's hodgepodge is a wrap!  I loved answering these questions.  Why not go see Joyce at  From This Side of the Pond and snag the questions to answer on your own blog?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that devotion today - it was just what I needed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed my visit here today and the scriptures too! I agree, the everyday comforts of life are a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to grow up with extended family nearby. Our cousins were all a distance so we didn't see them often, but enjoyed big family get togethers at my grandparents farm when we could. It wasn't every year. Certain foods definitely bring me comfort too. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serendipity at its finest or something far more significant. Hmmm... Kindness is surely lacking in this day and age.

    Your little Indian princess is darling.

    Glad you have a water pump back up and at'em and that you have a handy husband.

    Your childhood on the farm sounds idyllic. I often wish for such simple pleasures for the children of today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam wrote:
    That little "can of kindness" sure would go a long way today...great idea and nice way to think about it. You had a lovely idyllic childhood...I can just imagine it and it would make a lovely story. Our extended family was more spread out and we had to travel a long distance to my maternal grandparents' home each summer for a vacation. My paternal grandparents lived over in the next town from us, so we were together for holidays, etc., but still not as much as you would think. But I am thankful for growing up in a small town/school and had many friends, many of whom I still communicate with (via Facebook mostly) today. Oh, I know how awful it is to have water pump issues. So glad yours is fixed! The things we take for granted...we just don't realize until they go wrong! I know you were happy to have it back up and running! Speaking of which, I think I'm ready for my shower and get ready for bed...Good night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your answers this week. That's a bummer about the leak...those things are never fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.