Sunday, November 06, 2022

Sunday Scripture

 


 Again this Sunday, I'm sharing from the Made for Community reading plan from Love God Greatly that I worked on back in 2015.  With this study, as I have often done, I used the SOAP method of Bible study.  Just a quick reminder that the S is for Scripture, O is for Observation, A is for Application and P is for Prayer.  The sixth section is Living in Community in Our Spheres of Influence.  So here we go with the Scripture for the fourth day of that section. 

S= "Therefore, all things whatever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them; for this is the law and the prophets."  (Matthew 7:12)

O=  This verse is considered "The Golden Rule".  It is also stated in Luke 6:31 -- "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them."

Matthew 7:12 begins with the word "therefore".  I've learned, when I see that word, to ask what it's "there for".  

The use of "therefore" in this verse seems to be pointing back to verses 1-5, where we learn that we will be judged by the same judgment with which we judge others, and measured by the same standard as we measure others by.  We are also warned in this passage against hypocrisy.

Another possibility is that "therefore" is pointing back to verse 11 where we learn that our heavenly Father gives good things to those who ask Him.   Thus, we also need to show kindness to others and be givers of good things to them.

Either way, we need be treating others as we would have them to treat us.  

For the phrase "this is the law and the prophets", The Open Bible gives two cross-references:

Galatians 5:14 -- "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself."

1 Timothy 1:5 -- "Now the end [or goal] of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned."

Believer's Bible Commentary explains, "This saying by Jesus ... summarizes the moral teachings of the Law of Moses and the writings of the prophets of Israel.  The righteousness demanded by the Old Testament is fulfilled in converted believers who thus walk according to the Spirit (Romans 8:4).  If this verse were universally obeyed, it would transform all areas of international relationships, national politics, family life, and church life."

Food for thought!

A= This is a pretty simple, straightforward command.  I'm to treat others as I would have them to treat me and to measure them by the same standard as I'd want to be measured by.  I'm to be treating others with kindness.  

I think that in general, by God's grace, I'm able to do this.  I definitely don't hold others to a higher standard than I have for myself.  Of course there are times when I fail, but in general I do have this verse as a rule of life.

P= "Lord, I thank You once again for the clarity of Your Word and for the guidance it gives for our everyday lives.  I pray that You will help me to consistently treat others as I would want to be treated.  Help me, too, to clearly communicate the truth of Your Word to other Christian women, and that You would use ths to make a difference in their lives.  I thank You for all You'll do, in Jesus' name, Amen."

There is this week's simple study.  Hope you enjoyed it!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, your weekly Bible study is a real plus. I love your "SOAP" method of study. That has really helped me to put things in order in the way that I look at a verse. And this one is something we all have learned in concept..."The Golden Rule", but I often wonder how often we truly live it as we should. I know I try to, but I know there are times that I fall way short of loving others the way I would want to be loved or treated. Not so much in overt unkindness, but more of the sins of "omission" as opposed to "commission". That's what I need to work on...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.