Sunday, March 12, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 

As I mentioned last Sunday, I'm finishing up a One Chapter a Day study of Psalms 101-150 from Good Morning Girls.  Although I love working on more in-depth Bible studies, these simpler ones are also a blessing to do.  In fact, once I finish this GMG Psalms study, I hope to begin the one that preceded it for Psalms 51-100, then maybe tackle a more in-depth study of  Psalms from the The Daily Grace Co.  But we will see.  I don't want to get ahead of myself. 

 I like to use the SOAP method of Bible study, and the journal from GMG uses a very similar method.  I find this method a real blessing whether I am studying shorter passages or longer ones, so I hope you'll give it a try if you haven't ever done so. Just a reminder that the S is for Scripture -- just write it out -- and the O is for Observation, the A is for Application and the P is for prayer -- concerning how you'll apply this verse or praise for what it means to you.

This study also includes a reflection question for each passage.  Sometime I answer this in my study, and sometimes not.  Most often, when I do answer it, I'll do so right after the SOAP part.

Today's study is from Psalm 132.  Today we were to focus on verse 7, but I chose to look closely at verses 7 and 9, with a passing glance at verse 6.  As you will see, though, I did some work on the entire psalm, which I found to be a bit of a challenge.  Here goes:

S= "Lo, we heard of it at Ephratah; we found it in the fields of the wood.  We will go into His tabernacles; we will worship at His footstool.  Let Thy priests be clothed with righteousness, and let Thy saints shout for joy."  (Psalm 132:6-7; 9)

O= C.I. Scofield has titled this psalm "Trust in the God of David."  It's another of the Songs of Ascents, and as we read verse 7 in particular, we can almost hear pilgrims singing this on their way up to Jerusalem.  

Look back up at verses 6-7 above.  Spurgeon observes: "Before leaving [verse 7] let us note the ascent of this psalm of degrees: 'we heard ... we found .. we will go ... we will worship'."

For the phrase "we will go into His tabernacles", a cross-reference is given of Psalm 122:1-2 --

"I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.  Our feet shall stand within thy gates, O Jerusalem."

Another writer referenced Hebrews 10:25 -- 

"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together ... but exhorting one another, and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."

In The Treasury of David, Spurgeon quotes Anthony Farindon:

"Note their alacrity and cheerfulness in going.  Their long absence rendered the object more glorious ... 'We will go: We long to be there.  We will hasten our pace.  We will break through all difficulties in the way'."

For the phrase "Let Thy saints shout for joy", Spurgeon remarks: "The sentence, while it may be read as a permit, is also a precept: saints are commanded to rejoice in the Lord."

Spurgeon also summarizes this psalm in three points, which I found very helpful since as I read through it I had trouble following all that was being said here.

1) This psalm contains a statement of David's anxious care to build a house for the Lord (verses 1-7)
2) The psalm contains a prayer concerning the removal of the Ark of the Covenant (verses 8-10)
3) The psalm contains a pleading of the divine covenant and its promises (verses 11-18)

A= Spurgeon comments: "A joyful song indeed: Let all pilgrims to the New Jerusalem sing it often."

So that means me!  Along with all other believers, I'm "a pilgrim to the New Jerusalem".  Our former pastor often reminded us that we were all on "a pilgrimage from here to glory".  And it's so true!

And I'm to worship the Lord cheerfully and joyfully.  I like the quote from Farindon concerning how eager the pilgrims were to reach the place of worship they had missed so much.  How we should praise God for the blessing and privilege to worship with other believers.  And we should never take it for granted, but appreciate every single opportunity we have to do so.

P= "Lord, once again I am so thankful for Your Word.  There is so much in this psalm that I hadn't seen before in my quick readings of it.  I thank and praise You that You are an unchanging, promise-keeping God.  You will keep all of Your promises and You will accomplish all of Your purposes.

"I thank and praise You for the blessing of worship and fellowship with Your people in Your house.  Help me never to take this privilege for granted, but to take advantage of every opportunity to be in church and to be a cheerful, joyful worshiper.  I thank You in Jesus' name, Amen."

Now, for the reflection question:

It was pointed out that David endured many hardships as he sought to follow God -- and God had promised that He would establish David's throne forever.  We know that promise was fulfilled through Jesus, the Messiah.

In light of that, here's the reflection question: How does knowing that we have a God who keeps all of His promises, from Genesis to Revelation, build your faith and joy?

My answer: It definitely builds my faith.  Of course I do realize that the old hymn "Every Promise in the Book is Mine" is not really true.  As we "rightly divide" God's Word, we understand that every promise in the Book is not for believers.  Some promises were made to specific individuals, others specifically to Israel.  Still, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of promises in the Bible that I can cling to and rest upon.  

Verse 11 reminds us, "The LORD hath sworn in truth unto David: He will not turn from it."

And He will be equally faithful to keep His promises to us.

Spurgeon comments: "Our confidence: 'He will not turn from it.'  He is not a changing God ... He is able to carry out His purpose.  His honor is bound up in it.  His oath can never be broken."

This encourages me so much today!  I hope it was a blessing to others as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.