Sunday, March 19, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 

So it's Sunday again, and time for a Scripture post.  If you recall, I'm going back to The Book of Psalms One Chapter a Day study from Good Morning Girls.  In Summer 2020 I started this study but had never completed it, so I've decided to go back and finish it up.  This particular book only covers Psalms 101-150, and I had previously completed Psalms 101- 129, so I have a few more to go.  I have purchased another journal covering Psalms 51-100 and will plan to go through that after I finish this one.  

With this study, as I have often done, I used the SOAP method of Bible study.  Just a quick reminder that the S is for Scripture, O is for Observation, A is for Application and P is for Prayer.

Also, there is a reflection question for each psalm.  I don't always answer it, but when I do it will usually follow the SOAP portion of my study.

The Psalm for today is Psalm 133 and the verse to zero in on is verse 1.  This may sound a little familiar, since I wrote about this verse back in September as part of the Made for Community study.  But I think today's SOAPing of this verse will be different enough that no one will find it redundant.  (I hope.) I find that no matter how many times we read a portion of God's Word there is still more to be learned from it.

S= "Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!"  (Psalm 133:1)

O= C. I. Scofield titles this psalm "The blessings of brotherly love."  Psalm 133 is another of the "songs of degrees" found in Psalms 120 through 134.  

Joseph Alexander wrote concerning Psalm 133, "This psalm is an effusion of holy joy occasioned by the sight of the gathering of Israel as one great household at the yearly feasts!"

To which I would add -- and even more so if these songs were also sung by those returning to Jerusalem from captivity, as some scholars have conjectured.  What an "effusion of joy" that must have been, though I'm sure it would also have involved many tears.

Now, moving into verse 1 -- it begins with the word "Behold".  "Behold" means to pay attention and watch.  To what are we to pay attention and watch for in this verse?  

We're to pay attention to and see:

* how good it is for brothers to dwell together in unity;

* how pleasant it is for brothers to dwell together in unity.

If we are paying attention to something and see how good and pleasant it is, we will act upon it.  

Two cross-references are given for "brethren":

"Let brotherly love continue."  (Hebrews 13:1)

"And Abram said unto Lot, Let there be no strife, I pray thee, between me and thee, and between my herdsmen and thy herdsmen; for we are brethren."  (Genesis 13:8)

A= It's important to pay attention to unity in the church.  Unity is good for many reasons.  Among others, it pleases God and it presents a good testimony to the watching world.  It is pleasant because it makes our lives sweeter, while disunity makes us bitter.  It's never pleasant (or good) to have our fellowship and worship disrupted by conflict or sinful attitudes like envy, anger, pride, and more.  I need to do my part to contribute to the pleasantness of unity in the church.

P= "Lord, what an encouraging little psalm this is!  I'm so thankful that it shows us Your heart in the matter of unity, and that it teaches us so clearly about the importance and blessings of unity among Christians.  I'm thankful that You've helped us to experience the joy of unity in our local church, and that you've helped us to honor You during the occasional challenging times over the years when things have felt less unified.  I praise You for all that You have done and are doing, in Jesus' name, Amen."

The reflection question for today notes, "God wants us to have unity in the church ... Have you experienced this sweetness?  Sometimes conflict or hurt feelings can break up the unity.  How can you show more love and grace in the family of God so that you can experience the blessings of unity?"

My answer:  I have experienced this sweetness.  It's a true delight!  Most of my church experience has reflected this good, pleasant unity that helps us serve and worship to the glory of God.

Yet I've also seen how easily sinful attitudes of just a very few people can disrupt the unity and make things unpleasant and unsettled in the local church.

I'm thankful for how God has helped me and my hubby to be peacemakers and to extend love and grace even to those who may have hurt us in the past.  It truly is a blessing how God encourages and enables His children as they seek to faithfully walk with Him.

There is this week's Scripture Sunday.  I hope it was a blessing!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this...Have a sweet day!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding us of this verse today. We have a situation that has erupted in our little church because of a person's misunderstanding and spiritual immaturity in how she responded. It has caused some unhappiness and a break in the peaceful communion of our church family. I am praying this person can be reconciled and that people will be loving and forgiving and helpful to a person who is still very "young" in her faith. We know God is able, but people have to do their part. Thank you for sharing this scripture with us. I needed to be reminded of it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a good Bible lesson. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies, you are welcome! I'm so happy that you were blessed by the lesson.

    Pam, you are so right. I believe that spiritual immaturity is the cause of much of the disunity in churches.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.