Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Marching into the hodgepodge

 


 It's Wednesday again, so time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.  In this week's Hodgepodge questions we welcome March and sum up February.   Here goes:

1. Hello March! Is it coming in like a lion where you live? How do you feel when it rains? 

Well, I'm writing this on Tuesday (and it's snowing hard as I write), so I can only share the forecast for March 1 and let readers be the judge:

In spite of decently warm temperatures, I guess I'd classify this as more lion-like than lamb-like.  More snow in the offing for the rest of the week, too.

As for how I feel when it rains, at this time of year I always hope it's not freezing rain.  That complicates driving.

2. What's something you'd like to do differently this week than the last? Explain. 
 
Follow my plan for the day a bit more closely.   I know that I seem to get more done if I do household tasks in the morning or early afternoon.  Computer tasks are absorbing and I like to do them in the hour or so before lunch, because intermittent fasting.  I begin to get more hungry at that point and if I'm doing something that absorbs my interest, it helps a lot.  Also, my plan often involves some type of crafting in the later afternoon but I so often ignore that.  I would get a lot more accomplished if I stuck with my plan.


3. March 1st is National Sunkist Citrus Day...do you drink orange juice? Orange, lemon, lime, tangerine, grapefruit...what's your favorite citrus fruit? A dish you love with a citrus fruit as one of its key ingredients? 
 
I don't drink orange juice.   Of the citrus fruits, my favorite might be grapefruit.  A dish I love with citrus as a key ingredient would probably be lemon meringue pie or lemon-filled shortbread cookies.  
 

Or maybe the lemon ice cream at our favorite local ice cream place.
 
Love this Sunkist cookbook from my collection:

4. What do you consider to be your culture. Elaborate. 
 
Hmmm.  Not sure about this question.   Looking up the definition of culture did not help me much.  
 
I know that families can be said to have their own culture, and I guess that might fit with the part of the definition that includes a modifier.  So one could say something like "family culture: the attitudes and behavior characteristic of a particular family."  Even that I don't feel that I can comment on, because it isn't something one can generalize about every member of a family -- or every member of any social group, either.

I might say I consider my culture to be kombucha.  That is the main cultured food I have produced in my kitchen.  For me, I guess that's a better answer.

5. Sum up your February in fifteen words or less. 
 
 A happy, busy month with several nights warm enough to stay at our little camp.


6. Insert your own random thought here. 
 
Let's see.  From the kitchen I hear my hubby washing dishes.  He handles intermittent fasting quite a bit differently than I do.  He also needs an absorbing task to keep him busy in the last hour or so before lunch, but for him that absorbing task could be cooking or baking -- whereas it's best for me not to go near the kitchen.  He just made the umpteenth batch of Heavenly Delight 
 

and I believe he also mixed up the dough for Whipped Shortbread.  We have two occasions coming up for which we are going to need dozens of cookies.  It's a snow day here and he's getting started!

And that's the Hodgepodge for this week!

6 comments:

  1. We also are doing the intermittent fasting and hubby gets ready for the lunch meal much earlier than I do. I'm not sure I could handle the temptation of all that Heavenly Delight around though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a tough one. I would have struggled with it. I don't even know how to describe this first day of March other than clean-up on Autumn Ave. The plowman is here...thank goodness as Kim is arriving with her grands in a few hours. Have a blessed March!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even think about my family culture; the five of us definitely have our own and it becomes apparent when I meet other people who think we're weird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There were a lot of directions you could run with the culture question. Our family is definitely a culture all it's own. That fudge would be hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your husbands Heavenly Delight looks delicious. I'm on an Intermittent Fasting journey for a month now. I might try to keep it going till the summer. Do you do it year round ? I'm enjoying reading people's answer to the Culture question. Happy March to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just now getting around to commenting on last weeks post...I didn't participate this week, 3/9. too much happening and I didn't get to it. I enjoyed your answers. That's definitely some crazy weather. I agree, with getting household things done in the mornings, but it really just depends on if I'm working or now outside the home.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.