Sunday, February 11, 2024

Sunday Scripture

 


For this week's Sunday Scripture series, I'm finishing up my simple study of a little devotional journal titled Reflections: The Woman God Sees, by Jane L. Fryar -- a journal gifted me by some dear young friends.   It has a daily devotional one works through -- about a month's worth or so.  The daily devotions were a blessing to me when I worked through the book, so I've been sharing them here.  And today is the last in the series!

The Scripture for today is Isaiah 43:1.   Here's the assignment: "Each blessing described in this journal is yours because you are the Lord's redeemed.  Jesus brought you back from sin and death by suffering and dying for you on the cross.  List your fears below.  Then cross them out one by one as you repeat, 'I am redeemed!' "  I chose to SOAP Isaiah 43:1-2 as I considered this assignment.  

S= "But, now, thus saith the LORD who created thee, O Jacob, and He who formed thee, O Israel, Fear not, for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art Mine.
"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee; when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned, neither shall the flame kindle upon thee."  (Isaiah 43:1-2)

O= Although quite obviously spoken to Israel, these words are absolutely applicable to believers as well.  God says:

* Fear not
* I have redeemed you
* I have called you by name
* You are mine
* I will be with you

Cross-references for "Fear not" --

"Fear not, for I am with thee."  (Isaiah 43:5)

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee.  Be not dismayed, for I am thy God.  I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; Yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of My righteousness."  (Isaiah 41:10)

"Thus saith the LORD that made thee, and formed thee from the womb, who will help thee: Fear not."  (Isaiah 44:2)

Cross-reference for "redeemed" --

"Thus saith the LORD, the King of Israel, and His redeemer, the LORD of hosts: I am the first, and I am the last, and beside Me there is no God." (Isaiah 44:6)

Cross-references for "Mine" -- 

"Behold, I have engraved thee upon the palm of My hands; thy walls are continually before Me."  (Isaiah 49:16)

"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want."  (Psalm 23:1)

Jude 1 refers to "them that are preserved in Jesus Christ".  

C.I. Scofield writes: "Assurance is the Christian's full conviction that, through the work of Christ alone, received by faith, he is in possession of a salvation in which he will be eternally kept."

A= Decades ago, my daughters' school choir sang a song based on this passage.   Some of the words went something like this (to the best of my recollection, anyway):

"Be not afraid, for I have redeemed you; Be not afraid: I have called you by name.  When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; When you pass through the floods they will not overflow; When you walk through the fire you will not be consumed; you are Mine; you are precious in My sight."

In answer to this assignment: "Each blessing described in this journal is yours because you are the Lord's redeemed.  Jesus brought you back from sin and death by suffering and dying for you on the cross.  List your fears below.  Then cross them out one by one as you repeat, 'I am redeemed!' I wrote:

The fears I am dealing with right now are more real and more intense than any of my previous fears -- although I have known deep fear in past trials.  Our country is in a very serious situation right now with threats from within and without.  We personally are not at all wealthy (in a monetary sense) but we live a comfortable life and are blessed with many freedoms.  We stand to lose much and may face unimaginable difficulties.  But we are redeemed.   God knows us by name.  He is with us.  We need not fear.

Another part of the assignment went like this: "As you get ready for bed each evening, remind yourself: 'I am redeemed.  Jesus knows my name.  I belong to Him.'  Then sleep in peace."

This is a wonderful idea and I sort of already do something like this, but I think I'll be adding this in.  I was also reminded of Psalm 4:8: "I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety."

P= "Oh Lord, as I read through these verses, I am overwhelmed by the greatness of who You are: The King of Israel!  My redeemer!  The Lord of hosts!  The first and the last!  The one true God!

How can I possibly fear when I remember who You are, and that You, the incomparable, Almighty, all-knowing God, are also my ever-present Shepherd.

You have redeemed me!  You have called me by name!  I am Yours!  When I go through deep waters, You are with me and You promise that they will not overflow me.  When I walk through fiery trials, I will not be consumed by them.  From the experience of the three Hebrew men in the fiery furnace, I know that You will be walking through the fire with me.  How amazing!  How reassuring!

I praise You for Your love and care, in Jesus' name, Amen."

And there is this week's Sunday Scripture and the finish to our study of The Woman God Sees.  I hope it's been a blessing!


1 comment:

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.