Sunday, February 04, 2024

Sunday Scripture

 


For this week's Sunday Scripture series, I'm close to finishing up my simple study of a little devotional journal titled Reflections: The Woman God Sees, by Jane L. Fryar -- a journal gifted me by some dear young friends.   It has a daily devotional one works through -- about a month's worth or so.  I've been posting about this study for awhile now, but there is just one more lesson after this, so we'll be shifting gears for Sunday Scripture in mid-February.

The Scripture for today is Exodus 33:17.   Here's the assignment: "God knew Moses by name.  He knows you by name, too!  He hears your prayers, just as He heard the prayers Moses offered.  In Jesus, you have found favor in heaven.  Reflect on this.  Then write a poem, letter, or paragraph in response."  I chose to SOAP Exodus 33:12-13 and 17 as I considered this assignment.

S=  And Moses said unto the LORD, Thou hast said, I know thee by name, and thou hast found grace in My sight.
"Now therefore, I pray Thee, if I have found grace in Thy sight, show me now Thy way, that I may know Thee.
"And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken; for thou hast found grace in My sight; and I know thee by name."  (Exodus 33:12-13, 17)

O= Cross-reference for "show me now Thy way" --

"Show me Thy ways, O LORD; teach me Thy paths."  (Psalm 25:4)

This is such an amazing truth -- that God knows people by name!

I think of just a few examples in Scripture -- when God called "Samuel, Samuel" to a little boy.

When His angel, Gabriel, said, "Fear not, Mary" (Luke 1:30).

When God told Paul onboard a ship in the middle of a fierce storm, "Fear not, Paul."

There are so many instances of God calling people by name!  I can be assured that He knows my name, as well. 

A= In response to the assignment: "God knew Moses by name.  He knows you by name, too!  He hears your prayers, just as He heard the prayers Moses offered.  In Jesus, you have found favor in heaven.  Reflect on this.  Then write a poem, letter, or paragraph in response." 

I wrote:

"God heard and answered Moses' prayers; He will also hear and answer my prayers.  This is a blessed encouragement today, as our nation is in a time of uncertainty that could be very frightening.  Right now I am praying fervently for God to deliver our nation from destruction, undeserving though we be.

"Through Jesus I also have found grace in God's sight and favor in heaven.  God knows me by name and I have a personal relationship with Him.  I can know that He hears my prayers and that He will answer in the way that is best. "

P= "Lord, I am so thankful that You know me by name.  I praise You that through Jesus I have found grace in Your sight and that You hear and answer my prayers.  You know exactly what is going on in my life and in our world, and I know I can trust You to do what's best even though things look very scary indeed.  I thank You for all You will do, in Jesus' name, Amen."

And there's this week's Sunday Scripture.  Just one more in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.