Wednesday, August 14, 2024

August 14 Hodgepodge

 

Again this week, I'm joining in with Joyce and the gang for the Wednesday Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond.   Today's questions have a fun, late-summer vibe.  And here we go ...

 1.What was the best (or one of the best) summers of your life? Tell us why. 

Oh, my.  This is a difficult question.  I guess I might even say this summer we're currently in, because we have done some traveling, spent some precious time with family, met up with some of my cousins, visited friends, hosted a cottage prayer meeting at our camp, done some volunteer work, consumed lots of quality ice cream, attended a beautiful wedding ... 

Above is a view from one of the overlooks on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

2. When you have a trip coming up do you make a list and check it twice to ensure you don't forget anything? Or are you a 'throw whatever you can think of into the suitcase at the last minute' kind of packer? When returning from a trip do you unpack immediately or leave the suitcase right where it lands? 

It depends on what I am packing and how long of a trip.   If it requires packing food for meals, as it often does, then yes, I make detailed lists and check them twice.  

 
I used to always make lists for clothing to pack for a trip, and at one time I even used Flylady's Packing Control Journal ideas, but I've done it so much now that a mental list seems to suffice.  I think, though, that I need to get back into the habit, because I'm sure my memory isn't going to improve with time.

As far as unpacking, it really depends on what time of day or evening we arrive home.  I will usually start laundry right away no matter what time it is.  Sometimes I won't finish unpacking suitcases or tote bags until the next day.

3. What's your favorite food or beverage made with lemons? Is that a flavor you enjoy? 

Lemon is definitely a flavor I enjoy.   I would be hard pressed to say what my favorite food made with lemons is.  Probably pound cake with lemon curd and real whipped cream.  Or these lemon-filled shortbread cookies which are a favorite in our family.

As for a beverage, I have fond, fond memories of my mother's homemade iced tea which always began with slicing lemons and steeping them along with the tea bags.

4. When was the last time you had to make lemonade out of lemons, figuratively speaking I mean? 

Oh, let me think.   You know, I just can't think of when that might have been right now.

5. Did you like school growing up? Why or why not? 

I hated school for probably the first four years.   I was bullied a lot and felt very unconfident, though I did fine academically.

That began to turn around in 5th and 6th grade, when I had a teacher I really liked who inspired me.  I began to enjoy school and that continued right through high school.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Summer flowers are so gorgeous.  A friend brings bouquets to church services to beautify the sanctuary and then gives them away to random people afterwards.  I was the recipient of one this week and oh -- those zinnias and sunflowers just shouted "Summer!"

And so do the colors in the seed packet below.

And that's the Hodgepodge for this week!  Thankful I could participate!

7 comments:

  1. I don't think I have ever met someone who doesn't like lemon! So tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I come across a spread of cookies and desserts, my eyes are immediately drawn to cookies. Even though I have a weakness for chocolate, I always find myself reaching for lemon-flavored treats; as long as they are not overly sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised by how many people have said they don't like lemons in the HP today. I thought everyone liked lemons. How fun to receive an unexpected bouquet. Zinnias are one of my favorites. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a glorious sounding summer you've had this year! Oh my, those lemon filled cookies are calling my name! Ugh...so sorry about bullying! Glad you had a turn around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a group of church members who make the flower arrangements for our altar each week. They are flowers "to the glory of God" and we have different members sponsor the cost. We don't have a sponsor every week. They make gorgeous HUGE arrangements (big church) and on Monday morning, the arrangements are dismantled and divided into smaller vases and delivered by a different group of people to our shut-ins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our son Sam loves the moss rose. :-) He would pick them out as a young fella when we visited the nurseries. I plant them each spring for him, so he can see them when he visits. I love that seed pack you share.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you've had such a lovely summer, all the wonderful things that make up summer, including ice cream! The Sunday flower bouquets sounds like a wonderful way to share the beauty of the garden with others! I just love lemons too, and most often enjoy them in hot tea, or iced tea as you mentioned. Those lemon cookies sure look delicious though! I do love lemon meringue pie too! Many blessings to you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.