Wednesday, August 07, 2024

An unexpected Hodgepodge

 

 It feels like I haven't blogged in forever.  We've been out of town and although I have occasionally blogged from a tablet during past vacations, it's time-consuming.  So I feel like I simply have to join Joyce and the gang for the Wednesday Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond.   And here we go ..

1. What's a task you do on a regular (or semi-regular basis) that feels like it should be an Olympic event? 

Let's see. I will say cleaning the refrigerator. There is so much to it.

2. What's in the trunk of your car right now? 

We have just emptied it of coolers, suitcases, duffel bags, and other vacation paraphernalia.  I believe it is relatively empty at the moment, but my hubby's tools for his volunteer job will soon fill it up since our other car is not currently usable.

3. Summer foods vs. fall foods...which do you prefer? 

Would you rather-watermelon or caramel apple? iced coffee or pumpkin spiced latte? potato salad or sweet potato casserole? barbecued ribs or roast turkey? ice cream sandwich or apple pie? corn on the cob or candy corn? 

I was going to say fall foods until I looked at the choices below the first question.

So -- watermelon; iced coffee; potato salad, roast turkey, apple pie, and corn on the cob.  Four of my choices are summer foods and thus outweigh the fall foods I picked.

You might enjoy this post about Potato Salad the easy way.

4. August 7th is National Lighthouse Day. Have you visited any lighthouses? Do you have a favorite? Is a lighthouse something you seek out if you're visiting an area known for theirs? 

Yes, I have visited a number of lighthouses -- mostly in Maine and Prince Edward Island.  Nubble Light in York, Maine is the one I've visited most often, but Portland Head Light may be my favorite.



Above are several views of Pemaquid Point light in Bristol, Maine -- including one from inside!

5. Light at the end of the tunnel, out like a light, give the green light, a lightbulb moment, in a new light, in the limelight...of the 'light' idioms listed which applies in some way to your life lately? Explain. 

Out like a light describes how we felt sleeping in our own bed last night after a road trip in which we slept in four different beds in three states.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Not really random, but at the end of the vacation we enjoyed two nights visiting our good friends Judy and Tom in Pennsylvania.  Judy and I have been friends since 2007, when she discovered my blogs.  We have spent time together in New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine, but had never visited her in her home state.  So thankful it worked out at last!

Photo above is a garden in front of a bank (I think) in Greencastle, PA.  About 90 minutes from our friends' home; we stayed near there on Saturday night.

And there is my simple Hodgepodge for today!

6 comments:

  1. Hello ... how fun to read a post from you this morning. :-)
    And there is nothing like your own bed. I get that.
    Love, Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love traveling, but I also love coming home. I always change my sheets before we go out of town so I have fresh sheets to crawl into when we get home. Blog connections are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cleaning out the refrigerator. Pretty lighthouse.
    Yes, after a trip, sleeping in your own bed is one of the simple pleasures in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh...there is nothing like getting back to your own bed. You have seen some great lighthouses. PEI is on my kind of bucket list. Times a ticking away for those lists. Happy Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like to clean the fridge either, so I do it over a few days. I only saw Portland Head from the ship as we sailed away from Maine. Your flower are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, cleaning out the fridge is an Olympic event for sure! The lighthouses on PEI and around Atlantic Canada are memorable - would love to visit again. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.