Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Thanksgiving Tried & True #2 -- Sweet Potatoes


Here’s another tried and true Thanksgiving recipe. For many years, we didn’t always have sweet potatoes at our Thanksgiving meal; here in New England, winter squash tends to be more of a staple than sweet potatoes. But I have a son-in-law who truly loves them, and so one year I tried this recipe. It became a big favorite with all of us, and is now one of our Thanksgiving favorites!

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE

2 large cans cut yams, drained and mashed*
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup evaporated milk**
Pinch of nutmeg
Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour (may use whole wheat)
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 cup softened margarine (may use 3 Tablespoons oil instead)

Mix the first six ingredients in a large bowl; beat with electric mixer until well combined. Pile into a 2-quart baking dish. In another bowl, stir together topping ingredients. Sprinkle over top of potatoes. Bake the casserole at 325º to 350º for 35 minutes.

Makes 6 to 8 side-dish servings.

May be made ahead and frozen for future use. Simply thaw overnight in refrigerator and bake as directed.

* Or substitute about 2 pounds fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked, and mashed.

** Or substitute evaporated skim milk or fat-free half & half.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. T!

    I had sweet potatoes I wanted to use, but was looking for something a little different. I whipped this recipe up last night for dinner (with BBQ pork ribs in the slow cooker - yum!) and it was AMAZING!! I love the topping - mmmmm! I was out of nuts, unfortunately, but I threw in some oatmeal and that worked well. DH really liked them, too, as did our 1 year old - she really gobbled them up, the little turkey! LOL :o)

    Thanks for sharing a GREAT recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicky!

    I am so glad you enjoyed this recipe! We love this sweet potato casserole. The topping is so good, and I'm sure it was just fine with oats instead of nuts -- always a good, economical substitute.

    This year I actually left off the topping and put some marshmallows on instead, and that worked well too. I wanted to save the fat and calories of the topping, as marshmallows are fat-free. We now know that we enjoy this casserole both ways.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.