Wednesday, May 24, 2006

"When the going gets tough..."

“... the tough go shopping!” I think the original saying was “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” But shopping works for me!

A week ago Saturday my husband surprised me by coming home from work and suggesting, “This would be a good day to spend in a store.” It was raining -- hard. None of the Saturday afternoon tasks he had planned could be done. I was only too happy to go along with his suggestion. The store he had in mind for himself was Lowe’s. I had any number of places nearby to Lowe's from which to choose.

It may be surprising, but I chose Wal-Mart. The Wal-Mart in the town we’d be in is much nicer and more well-stocked than the one in our own town. So I spent a couple of hours there, wandering the aisles and looking for things on my list. One particular goal of my search was to find a few items to spiff up my kitchen. I’d been so inspired by Kelly’s essay at FlyLady.net -- “The Cost of a New Kitchen” that I wanted to find a few simple items to help with that goal. I found some really cute place mats that featured all different fruits on a green-checked background. The walls in my dining area are sort of a retro green, and I have a strawberry theme in both kitchen and dining area. So these mats were perfect. And only 97¢ for two! I also bought a new dish drainer for my sink. I’ve only seen these items before in neutral colors like white or cream or brown -- but I found a RED one. It’s actually called “Intense Red” and looks perfect in my strawberry kitchen. And it makes me smile every time I look at it!

The other thing I was looking for was some sort of container to corral loose recipes I have stacked on one corner of my kitchen counter. I have an old, tall recipe file box there, but I seldom use the recipes in it anymore. My most frequently used recipes I keep in a photo album kept with my cookbooks -- works perfectly. And I have an expandable file folder full of clipped recipes to try. But most of these on my counter are recipes I use quite a bit and don’t have room for in the photo album. I think inevitably I am going to have to buy another one of those, but knowing me, I also know there will probably always be a stack of loose recipes on my counter. What I want to do is reorganize a lower cabinet and be able to free up enough space to store the old tall file box in there. I can’t just throw those recipes out -- they are from my childhood and my kids’ childhoods, and every now and then somebody asks me for one of them. Then for the loose recipes -- well, what I found was, I think, intended to be a planter. It’s galvanized metal, long and narrow, with an embossed ivy design. I think it will hold my recipes just fine, and look neater and decorative at the same time. I plan to put index cards in it for dividing the recipes into categories. We’ll see if it works. If not, I can always use it as a planter! Now, to get that cupboard reorganized...

We also went to a consignment shop that day. I had hoped to find some clothes -- I’ve lost quite a bit of weight and need to find some smaller, inexpensive things -- but I didn’t find what I was looking for. I did, however, buy 2 books -- a Gooseberry Patch Christmas book #2 which I passed on to my daughter, since I have that volume, but it’s a keeper and I knew she would use it -- and a hardcover book on making crafts to sell that has some really practical ideas in it.

We ended our rainy-day outing with supper at a favorite diner. It was such fun to dash in out of the pouring rain to a warm, bustling place full of good cheer and comfort food. (I ordered breakfast.)

What a wonderful way to spend a rainy afternoon!

4 comments:

  1. I found your blog through "Sammy's Mommy". I was very encouraged reading through your blog. Even though I don't think I know you, isn't it neat to see how God can use other believers to be an encouragement in everyday life. Thanks for being a blessing to me today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your sweet comments! It is indeed very neat to see how God uses believers to be an encouragement to one another in everyday life. That is definitely a part of His plan, and it works so beautifully when we all take our "job assignments" from God seriously. Until I started blogging, I would never have believed that computers and the internet could be a way we could use to encourage one another and build one another up in the faith.

    He just used you to encourage me! Thanks again!

    God bless,
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FUN post! Did I understand you correctly when you said you found a RED dishdrainer? My kitchen colors are red and gold so a red dish drainer would look so pretty!

    When you say your kitchen is 'retro' green, what is that, kinda lime colored?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. B,

    Yes, I did find a RED dish drainer! It's made by Rubbermaid, I think, and is called "Intense Red." I had never seen such a thing before, and I love it! I think it was about $7.

    My kitchen has strawberry wallpaper and 70s hand-antiqued green cabinets. It's my dining area (open to kitchen) which is painted green. It's that sort of green that things were often painted in the 30s. It's sort of unusual, but I actually like it.

    Thanks for commenting!
    Mrs.T

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.