Saturday, March 15, 2008

Bookends


Back in fall of 2006, I was blessed to attend a Woman After God's Own Heart seminar with Elizabeth George. This was the second time I have been blessed to hear Elizabeth in person. Recently, I've been going through a folder of devotional thoughts and Bible study notes I've saved over the years. Among those items, I found the leaflet on which I'd taken the notes for this seminar. On the back, I wrote down something Elizabeth said which encouraged me then, but encouraged me even more when I read it this time. It was in reference to Romans 11:33:

"O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and the knowledge of God! how unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out!"

And this is what I wrote down: "The wisdom and the knowledge of God can serve as the bookends, the pillars, between which we can file all the unexplainable things in our lives."

What a blessing to think about! Picture a set of bookends. One bookend is labeled "The wisdom of God." The other bookend is labeled "The knowledge of God." And in between the two bookends, we may file everything in our lives that we don't understand. Because God does understand them! They are things that He, our all-wise, all-knowing God has allowed for our good and for His glory.

I hope that this simple thought will encourage others today as it encouraged me. Is there something unexplainable in your life today? File it between the bookends of God's wisdom and knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.