Tuesday, March 06, 2012

The newest super hero cape!

Three more of my grandchildren requested super hero capes for their birthdays.  Here is the first one:

The cape is red with bursts of black stars all over it.  As before, I used this pattern:  Clever Little Cape  which I have enlarged considerably from the original pattern.

A closer look at the emblem.  Just a plain "S" for Sam, or for "Super [fill in the blank]".  The emblem is done in his favorite colors.

You can just see the edge of the lining as it's flipped up here.
 
 It's a black background with bright drips of paint in many colors.  I chose the same lining fabric for all three capes.  When I made the previous three capes, I didn't buy fabric -- just used what I had on hand and it was great.  But this time I didn't have much left for appropriate fabrics in the right amount of yardage.

The birthday boy with his mom adjusting the cape for a picture.
 
 In hindsight, I should have made this cape larger.  It fits him now, but for how long?  When he outgrows it, assuming he still wants a cape, I'll remove the emblem which is just hand-stitched on and sew it to a larger cape.

One cape down and two to go!

4 comments:

  1. I should make one of these for my youngest grandson. He is always telling me he has super powers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hope you do try it! It's very easy. My grandchildren love them. This is the fourth one I've made now. I'm hoping that when my other daughter & family come East for a visit (hopefully this fall) that they can bring their capes and we can have a photo op with all six super heroes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.