Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Thanksgiving with the Wednesday Medley


Again this week,  I'm joining in with the Wednesday Medley hosted by Terri at Your Friend from Florida.  This week's Medley has an unmistakable Thanksgiving theme, so it will be even more fun than usual. 

Would you like to join in also?  Just head over to Terri's blog, get the questions, then copy, paste, and answer them on your own blog.  Then you can go back to Terri's and link up!

Here are this week's questions:

1. What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food?

Oh, that is a tough question! Turkey and gravy may be my favorite -- especially if the turkey is nice, moist white meat.  Stuffing is a favorite also, but it depends on how it is made.  Pie ... I never really cared for pumpkin pie growing up, but now I love it.  You can find three fabulous Thanksgiving pie recipes here, or check out the pie recipe in the sidebar -- a true taste of Thanksgiving!
2. What's the happiest Thanksgiving memory of your childhood?

You can read about my childhood Thanksgivings at my grandmother's farmhouse here: A Thanksgiving Memory. I also have great memories of the occasional times we hosted Thanksgiving at my parents' home, but the very best were at the farmhouse. I will never forget my first taste of sage cheese!  (For those who don't know what that is, it's a sharp Cheddar with sage marbled through it.)   My grandmother had it available at holiday meals because one of my uncles absolutely loved it.  And once I tasted it, so did I!

That's my grandmother below, in the early 1950s. I barely remember that kitchen, as she had it all redone when I was a youngster. The Thanksgiving memories I recall all center around her dining room and the new kitchen.



3. Who is the most consistently grateful person you know?

Hmmm ....  that's a tough one, but as I've thought about it,  I'd have to say it's a young man in our church, a close friend of ours.  Nearly every time I see him, I hear Noah say something like this: "God's been so good to me."

Gorgeous graphic by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
4. If you could thank one person today—near or far, living or dead—for their influence on your life, who would that person be?

I would have to thank God (and, of course I do) for my salvation, for completely turning my life around, many decades ago.   His goodness to me, the transformation He wrought in my life, His faithfulness day by day -- well, I can -- and should -- go on and on.

Also by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
5. Who’s one person you’ve never thanked for their contribution to your life, but would like to?

Good question.   I think, actually,  the person I would like to thank is one I won't see again in this life.  Mrs. Plummer, director of the junior choir I sang in at the Methodist church, really laid the groundwork for God to work in my life.  She was a born-again Christian who attended a Baptist church, but for whatever reason served as a choir director at a local Methodist church.  One thing Mrs. Plummer had us do was memorize books of the Bible and do "sword drills" where one looks up Scriptures in the Bible (the sword of the Spirit) and sees who can find it first.  First one to find the verse jumps up and reads it.  Those exercises gave me an interest in God's Word and a hunger to know what it meant, even though it would be many years later that I actually came to salvation.  I am looking forward to seeing this dear lady in heaven.  I am sure she will be quite surprised to see me there!

Another from Little Birdie Blessings
6. Tell us something random about your Thanksgiving week.

The weather. This is the snowiest November I ever recall.   It snowed all day Tuesday, and we had a couple of storms last week too.  There's been a lot of cold and wind also, though yesterday was above freezing and there was no wind to speak of.

 And this week's Wednesday Medley is a wrap!  Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

8 comments:

  1. I'm just loving reading about all the thankfulness going on in this post! And that young man with his 'God's been so good to me.' We can all say that if we just open our eyes and hearts. God bless you. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also would like to thank a lady who gave me the encouragement I needed as a young teenager, to sing. I enjoyed my visit with you today today and hope you have a gratitude-ful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your medley today. I have such great memories of Sword Drills, we called them Bible Drills. Fabulous post! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours! Hope the snow won't hinder your gatherings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been such a joy to read your Thanksgiving posts and so very nice of you to share. I plan on making your broccoli casserole and the Reese's pie.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for joining in today!! I really enjoyed your answers to the questions and loved reading about your memories! That photo of your grandma is precious! Wishing you and yours a blessed and happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't like pumpkin as a child and young adult, now in my 'older' years I love it. My how time can change things. Enjoyed visiting with you today, hope you have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that photo of your Grandma! Aren't Grandparents so special? I enjoyed your answers! Happy Thanksgiving

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I like pumpkin a lot better now that I am older. Mrs. Plummer’s prayers were answered. Don’t you suppose that she prayed for you? Have a blessed Thanksgiving, Mrs. T. 🍂

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.