Sunday, September 19, 2021

Sunday Scripture

 

All of my readers realize by now that I'm posting each Sunday about a simple study of Psalms that I worked on last summer.  It was such a good study to be working on amid the uncertainties of 2020 -- and some of it was done sitting at picnic tables as we camped in the midst of God's glorious creation.  There just couldn't have been a better backdrop --so awe-inspiring and so many great reminders of how amazing God is!

This Psalms study is another from Good Morning Girls.  As I've said before, these are simple studies but I really do enjoy them and get a lot from them.  I very much enjoy more in-depth Bible studies as well, but these simpler ones are also a blessing to do.  I like to use the SOAP method of Bible study, and the journal from GMG uses a very similar method.  I find this method a real blessing whether I am studying shorter passages or longer ones, so I hope you'll give it a try if you haven't ever done so. Just a reminder that the S is for Scripture -- just write it out -- and the O is for Observation, the A is for Application and the P is for prayer concerning how you'll apply this verse or praise for what it means to you.

Today's study is from Psalm 120, and the verse we were to closely consider is verse 1.   

S= "In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and He heard me."  (Psalm 120:1)

O=  In the Scofield Reference Bible, Dr. C.I. Scofield titles this psalm very simply "A cry of distress."  In the seven verses of the psalm, the psalmist notes some of the people that have contributed to his distress: those with "lying lips" and "a deceitful tongue"; those who "hate peace" and "are for war".  In the midst of this distress, the psalmist says that he cried unto the LORD, and God heard his cry.

A=  It is so good to know without a doubt that God hears us when we cry unto Him out of our distress.  I too can relate to the feeling of being surrounded by people with lying lips, people who stir up strife and who "are for war".  It is indeed a distressing place to be.  God doesn't always deliver us completely from a distressing situation, but He gives us grace to remain in it -- and, eventually, a way to escape.

P= "Lord, I thank and praise You so much for the powerful ways you have worked during times of great distress in my life.  I've been deeply affected by "lying lips" from all sides.  I've been surrounded by people who wanted to stir up as much trouble as possible in an already intolerable situation.  When I cried out to You, You heard and answered.  Even though You allowed me to remain in the painful situation for some time, You gave grace -- and eventually answered in a powerful way.  I praise You that You hear us when we cry!  In Jesus' name, Amen."

That's the Scripture Sunday for this week!

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful application of this scripture. It seems like there are so many "lying lips" these days that we can get dizzy trying to figure it all out, but when we keep our eyes on Jesus, we know what is truth and what isn't. I try to stay focused on Him and that is the only way to find peace in these turbulent times. I love that you use the Scofield Reference Bible too. That is my favorite, and I use the NKJV. I find great comfort there... Have a blessed week, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These times are indeed stressful. I look forward to the rescue. Such a pretty, calming picture of the lake scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Soap method,You have explained this verse so eloquently!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.