Wednesday, February 09, 2022

Hearts and flowers hodgepodge

 

Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond, where Joyce asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers.  Here we go ...

1. Besides the predictable name-rank-serial number, what's something you know by heart?

My kids' phone numbers; my credit card number; certain (simple) recipes; quite a few Scripture verses; the Pledge of Allegiance and probably more, if I take time to think about it.


2. Something recently that had you tickled pink?

Chatting with my Nevada daughter about the likelihood they will drive out here this summer.

3. How do you define the word romantic, and are you one? 

I had to think about this.  Not sure if it's referring to romantic as a noun -- I think so, because the second part of the question asks, "are you one?"  So according to this definition screenshot straight from my computer desktop, a romantic is "a person with romantic beliefs or attitudes."

Honestly, I don't really know how to answer.  I can be romantic.  I love romantic activities like walks on the beach, dinners out with my hubby, evenings by a crackling fireplace.  I love happy endings and seeing God write love stories.  But on the other hand I tend to be a realist as well.


 
4. Finish this verse with your own original thought....'Roses are red, violets are blue...

"... Masks are useless, and mandates are too."

5. Five little things you are loving right now? 

 1.  More daylight at each end of the day.
 2.  Clementines.
 3.  The temps outside today.  Nearly 40º!  That's terrific after recent below zero temps.
 4.  Studying the book of Daniel in my quiet time.
 5. Getting started with making my own kombucha again!


6. Insert your own random thought here. 

 Thinking about how Valentine's Day used to be a much bigger holiday in some ways than it is now.  Even back during my mother's childhood in the 1930s, Valentines from one's classmates were a given.  I've run across a good many that she received.  And then in my own childhood, making a Valentine box at school in which all of one's Valentines could be placed ... if I remember right, the making of Valentine boxes took up at least one full art class.  Mothers would bake Valentine cookies to be sent to school for the classroom party.  My mom would make cutout heart sugar cookies and frost them with pink frosting.

And that wraps up the Hodgepodge for this week!  Why not head on over to From This Side of the Pond and snag the questions to answer on your own blog?

9 comments:

  1. I'm visiting from Hodgepodge! Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the memories of childhood valentines and self-decorated boxes. I would save all the little cards, some even handmade to enjoy for weeks. Yes, it doesn't seem quite the big deal any more except for florists, which reminds me I need to make a trip to Hallmark. Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours. Love all the old cards on your post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just made me realize that I know no one's phone # including my Family's!! Well, I know what I'm doing today... Memorizing! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun hodgepodge
    The old school days were the best fun. I like the rule that we had to give everyone a Valentine so as to not hurt feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those were the good old days when children were allowed a party with homebaked goods. Those days are long gone! I remember them fondly as well.

    Love your rhyme for #4. It appears that everyone is catching on.

    What fun to look forward to your Nevada family coming home for a visit. Boy oh boy, the camp is going to come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clementines would make my list too. I eat a ridiculous number of them this time of year. Your rhyme lol. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the way you finished the roses are red verse! Wake up everyone. Woohoo about your loved ones traveling to see you. I'd be tickled pink, too. Happy Hodgepodge to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your Roses are red poem...perfect!! We so agree! How wonderful your kids are coming from out west! That is truly something to look forward to. And yes, I remember making the Valentine boxes and sending cards to all our classmates and friends. Those were such sweet and innocent times. And yes, the 'homeroom mothers' always baked such wonderful treats for us! Loved those party days at school!! We'd go home hyped up on sugar, but it was so much fun. Lovely memories. Happy Valentines' Day next week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Memorizing things years ago was easier. I knew all the phone numbers then, lol! Today, I still know some, but not like I did years ago, when you had to know them to make a call! I agree with your roses rhyme... excellent! Agree with your take on Valentines too - it was always such a big deal with my children, and I always enjoyed making things. Today, I made a heart card for each of my bible study ladies, and gave them some homemade pink bath salts from a recipe I got from JES. I think it is fun to be able to gift special little things :) Have a wonderful time planning your visit with your crew from Nevada!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.