Monday, February 14, 2022

One new thing ...

 


Here goes with another One New Thing post, once again inspired by Becki at Field Lilies.  Becki is posting each week about at least one new thing she has tried or done.  

This week I'm going to post about something very new to me: reading a book from a genre I have seldom -- no, I'll just say never -- dipped into: middle-grade fantasy involving rabbits with swords.  Several of our grandchildren are huge fans of the Green Ember series of books by S.D. Smith.  They even own, and love, t-shirts celebrating this series.  

This rather inadequate Kindle photo shows Julia wearing her Green Ember t-Shirt in Nevada in Spring 2021.
 
Why did I decide to read this book?  Well, when one is acquainted, as I am, with a 15-year-old bookworm who has read hundreds of books already, and that bookworm describes a series as "quite possibly the best books I have ever read", one tends to take that a bit seriously.


The Book Overview of The Green Ember from Thriftbooks reads as follows: "Heather and Picket are extraordinary rabbits with ordinary lives until calamitous events overtake them, spilling them into a cauldron of misadventures. They discover that their own story is bound up in the tumult threatening to overwhelm the wider world. Kings fall and kingdoms totter. Tyrants ascend and terrors threaten. Betrayal beckons, and loyalty is a broken road with peril around every bend. Where will Heather and Picket land? How will they make their stand?"

Obviously, this is a story with wider implications than just a fantasy about rabbits.  And there are many more books in the series -- sequels, prequels, and others I have yet to learn of.  I've finished The Green Ember but am reading through it a second time to catch details I undoubtedly missed along the way.  Granddaughter Julia assures me that there are plenty more where that one came from.  And I do plan to read them.  We're living in  a world that is crazy at best.  I will be interested to see what I can learn from Heather, Picket and the other Green Ember characters on their journey through a perilous world.

Check out S.D. Smith's author page on Amazon to see more.

4 comments:

  1. Have never read them nor heard of these books, but my opinion is summed up in this quote by C.S. Lewis: “Since it is so likely that (children) will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage. Otherwise you are making their destiny not brighter but darker.”

    What a wonderful grandmother you are to take a step into your granddaughter's reading experience. I hope that you will find many things to communicate over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fantastic quote, Vee! I love it, and it's so very true. Even truer today than when it was written, I suppose.

    Thanks for your sweet words ... that's my hope too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those books sound fascinating! I can understand why young people/children would love them. And very possibly not so young people too? Keep us posted about them. They do sound like good stories for the kids of today...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these books, but I will say I read a few books my teen boys suggested (in the day), and I learned they make good recommendations. It's so nice that you and your granddaughter can enjoy talking about the stories together.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.