Monday, February 07, 2022

One new thing ...

 

Here goes with another One New Thing post, once again inspired by Becki at Field Lilies.  Becki is posting each week about at least one new thing she has tried or done.  

This week I'm going to post about a new pattern I tried for making a checkbook cover.  My hubby and I both like to have a fabric cover for eheckbooks that we use often.  The one that was on this particular checkbook was literally in tatters, and Mr. T had been asking me about making a replacement. (The existing cover had been purchased at a craft fair in the 1990s or earlier.)

  Now years ago, I made this checkbook cover for our other main checkbook:

At that time, I thought about making a second one, because the cover on our main checkbook was pretty tattered even then.  But for whatever reason, this cover was a bit too small for that checkbook.

So when Mr. T asked me about making another, my first thought was to use this pattern but to enlarge it somehow.  There was only one problem with that idea: I couldn't find the pattern.  After a few days of fruitless looking, I turned to the internet for further research.

This is the pattern I ended up with: 20-Minute Checkbook Cover.  The pdf will open right up and you can print it out if you're interested in making a checkbook cover.  (If not, just close it.)

My hubby had even specified the fabric he wanted me to use.  He was so tickled by a s'mores fabric I had used for Arielle's floor pillow at Christmas, he wanted the same fabric for his checkbook cover.  The fabric was flannel, but that didn't matter to him.  So that's what I used.



 I must admit that this project took me more than 20 minutes.  The project stretched over 3 days -- but probably only 25-30 minutes in actual time.  I was pressed for time so the first day I made the patterns out of scrap paper and cut them out.  On the second day, I pinned the pattern pieces to the fabrics and cut them out.  Then finally on the third day, I sewed the checkbook cover together.  It was a surprisingly fast process when I actually got around to doing the sewing.

This is a case where I really liked the new pattern that I found.  I've printed it out so that I can't possibly lose this one!

6 comments:

  1. The s'mores fabric is fantastic! Nice choice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it at Joann.com. I'd planned on making the floor pillows all different flannel plaids, but when it came to the 7-year-old I just couldn't resist the s'mores flannel!

      Delete
  2. That fabric is adorable! Sooo...every time Mr. T gets out his checkbook he wants to think about S'mores? ☺️ I could stand to have a new fabric cover for my checkbook, too. I was thinking of rummaging around in a drawer somewhere to look for an old plastic one. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he's funny. That little campfire would remind me of how quickly we burn through money! But that's what he asked for, so ...

      I hope you try the pattern. In spite of my slowness, it really is extremely easy. And much cuter that an old plastic one!

      Delete
  3. Ohhh I like it... I may give it a try myself x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love s'mores, so I I love this! Very cute! I guess I just never ever thought of a cover for my checkbook! Mine fits inside my wallet, and so I don't need anymore bulk on it or it wouldn't fit. Besides that, we really don't use our check book that much anymore...mostly for checks to church and gifts to our family members or something like that. Most everything else gets paid with our debit card or online. Not too many places accept checks anymore. But still, I love your idea and it would be cute for a wallet cover or a book cover too. And I sure do love s'mores.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.