Monday, February 21, 2022

One new thing ...

 

Here goes with another One New Thing post, inspired by Becki at Field Lilies.  For today I am sharing something rather simple ... a new macaroni & cheese recipe that I recently tried.  It's from the Gooseberry Patch cookbook The Christmas Table.

 This recipe looked like one I would like to try because it did not involve cooking the macaroni first, and I've never tried doing that.  It has you mixing the uncooked macaroni with the cheese and other ingredients, and then pouring boiling water over the top and mixing it in.  The recipe described the result as "creamy and good" so to me it sounded worth a try.

Here is the very simple recipe if you'd like to try it for yourself.

EASIEST BAKED MAC & CHEESE
2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
1/4 cup butter
16 ounce container sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 1/4 cups boiling water

In a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish, stir together uncooked macaroni, butter, sour cream, and cheese.  Pour boiling water over top; stir to combine.  Bake, uncovered, at 375º for 45 minutes.  Serves 4 to 6.

I melted the butter first in the baking dish while the oven was preheating.  I just thought it would all combine better if the butter was melted.  I then stirred in the sour cream, then the uncooked macaroni and the cheese.  It seemed like it would blend better in this order.  Also since the recipe called for no seasonings at all, I thought salt and pepper were a good idea, so I added 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.  

And the result?  Well, it was good.  Had great flavor.  I would not describe it as "creamy".  It had more of a curdled type effect.  Would  I make it again?  I might.  

I honestly don't think my own regular macaroni and cheese recipe takes any longer to make, but it does take two more saucepans -- one to cook the macaroni in and one to cook the cheese sauce in.  But there really is no contest as far as the flavor goes.  

However, if I was in a tearing hurry and didn't have time to stand over the stove, I probably would make this Easiest Baked Mac & Cheese again. As I said, it was good -- just not as good as my usual.  I'm glad I tried this One New Thing and learned about this simple option.

8 comments:

  1. So much variety in mac and cheese recipes. Our friend Abby gave me a wonderful tip. She said to squirt a bit of regular yellow mustard in the cheese sauce. She says her grands are crazy about it, but they don't have a clue about what is making the difference. I am trying that on my sister's grands this Wednesday when they come to lunch. I'm keeping the secret, too. 💛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true about mustard. I read a tip years ago that if you feel your cheddar isn't quite sharp enough when making mac'n'cheese, you can add a teaspoon or so of dry mustard. I have never tried it (I don't think) with regular yellow mustard, but I do often squirt in some Dijon mustard.

      I will be interested to hear what your sister's grands think of it! Let me know!

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine not cooking the macaroni first, but if you say it worked, then I'll take your word for it. I like the lasagna pasta that is no boil first too...it really does work out good...and definitely saves a big step. Anyway, this sounds interesting, and if the macaroni is soft and good with no crunchiness, then it would be a "winner for dinner"! LOL. Might be a good one to take to a potluck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I love the no boil lasagna noodles. They are all I use anymore. I used to use regular ones (uncooked) and just pour some water around the edges and cook the lasagna covered for an hour 15 minutes, then let stand 15 more minutes before serving. I still use the same recipe but with the no boil noodles I no longer add the water.

      If you have a mac'n'cheese recipe you already love, I wouldn't bother with this one. But sometime if you are really pressed for time and want to save washing a couple of pans, this would fit the bill.

      Delete
  3. I love easy stuff! Thanks for the recipe and I love the idea of trying new stuff. I so easily fall into habits of the same 'ol same 'ol, so I'm going to try to try some new stuff! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tori, it is so good to see you here again. It's been awhile! Yes, I love Becki's idea of trying new stuff. Once I read her idea, I realized that I also try new things fairly often and it might make good blog fodder!

      Delete
  4. Sometimes the newer recipes just can't outdo our tried and true favorites, even if they skip a step or two! I was thinking that there would be a bit of curdling effect with this recipe. I wonder if cooking the macaroni in the oven for perhaps 20 minutes, and then stirring in the other ingredients would help? I hope you are having a lovely week Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if that step would eliminate the curdled effect or not, Marilyn. I'm thinking if I was going to the trouble of doing that, I would probably just make my tried and true!

      Hope you are having a lovely week as well! It's beautiful and feels almost springlike here, but we have more snow coming in on Friday!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.