Sunday, August 20, 2023

Sunday Scripture



Here's another in my most recent Sunday Scripture series.  I've been posting about my simple study of a little devotional journal titled Reflections: The Woman God Sees., by Jane L. Fryar.   This was a journal my dear young friends Sam and Jennifer gave me as part of a set for a gift one year.  It has a daily devotional one works through -- I think around a month's worth.  It was a blessing to me when I worked through it, so I thought I would share here.

For this week, the featured passage was Psalm 139:2-4. The question was asked,  "When you remember that your Lord sees you through the eyes of His delight because of what Jesus did for you, what thoughts and joys arise in your heart?"  I chose to SOAP Psalm 139:1-4 as I considered this question.

S= "O LORD, Thou hast searched me, and known me.
"Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising; Thou understandest my thought afar off.
"Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
"For there is not a word in my tongue, but lo, O LORD, Thou knowest it altogether."  (Psalm 139:1-4)

O= This is a psalm of David.  C.I. Scofield has titled it "God's all-seeing eye and inescapable presence."  

    Verses 1-4 remind us that God has searched us, and known us.  He knows when we sit down and when we stand up. He knows when we lie down.  He  understands our thoughts and knows our words before we speak them.  He encompasses our path and is acquainted with all our ways.  NKJV says He "comprehends" our path.

A cross-reference for "search" (verse 1): "Search me, O God, and know my heart; try me, and know my thoughts."  (Psalm 139:23)

A cross-reference for "Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising" (verse 2) -- "But I know thy abode, and thy going out, and thy coming in, and thy rage against me." (2 Kings 19:27)

The above words were spoken by God to Hezekiah through Isaiah, in reference to Sennacherib, King of Assyria in answer to Hezekiah's prayer.  A good reminder that God knows all about everyone -- even those who don't know Him.  

Cross-references for "understandest my thought" (verse 2) -- "And Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, Why think ye evil in your hearts?"  (Matthew 9:4)

"But Jesus did not commit Himself unto them, because He knew all men, and needed not that any should testify of man; for He knew what was in man."  (John 2:24-25)

Cross-reference for "Thou knowest it altogether" (verse 4) -- "Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in His sight, but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with whom we have to do."  (Hebrews 4:13)

A= It could be a little scary to think that God knows everything about us -- even our thoughts!  Verse 4 hints at this.  Psalm 94:11 notes, 

"The LORD knowest the thoughts of man, that they are vanity."

And Job told God in Job 42:2

"I know that Thou canst do every thing, and no thought can be withheld from Thee."

But Psalm 103 assures us, 

"As a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear Him.  For He knoweth our frame; He remembereth that we are dust."  (Psalm 103:13-14)

When I remember that God knows all about me and loves me anyway -- that He sees me as righteous because of Christ's sacrifice on my behalf -- I am so thankful that He drew me to Himself with lovingkindness!

Life in our world right now is a little uncertain, and we can't take anything for granted.  It's comforting to be reminded that God is with us and that He encompasses our path!

P= "Lord, these verses are so comforting.  I'm so thankful that You know when I sit down and when I rise up and that you know my path.  Even thought it's a bit sobering to realize You know my thoughts before I think them, and my words before I speak them, I am comforted that You also know my frailties.  

"I'm so grateful that because of Christ's sacrifice on my behalf, You see me as righteous.  

"Amid the uncertainties of life, it's incredibly comforting to know that You are with me and that You know every twist and turn my path will take.  I thank and praise You in Jesus' name, Amen."

And there's the Sunday Scripture for this week!


4 comments:

  1. I always feel blessed and comforted by these verses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are indeed so comforting! God's Word is such a treasure.

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.