Sunday, August 06, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 


Today is the second in a new Sunday Scripture series.  I'm posting about my simple study of a little devotional journal titled Reflections: The Woman God Sees., by Jane L. Fryar.   This was a journal my dear young friends Sam and Jennifer gave me as part of a set for a gift one year.  It has a daily devotional one works through -- I think around a month's worth.  It was a blessing to me when I worked through it, so I thought I would share here.

For this week, the featured verse was Romans 5:8 -- "But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."  

The question was asked,  "How does Romans 5:8 show you your worth in God's eyes and settle your concerns [with self-worth] forever?"  I chose to SOAP Romans 5:6-8 as I considered this question.

S= "For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
"For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. 
"But God commendeth His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:6-8)

O= Cross-reference for "died" (verses 6 and 8) --

"Jesus ... was delivered for our offenses, and raised again for our justification."  (Romans 4:25)

Cross-reference for "righteous" (verse 7) -- 

"Simeon ... was righteous and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel; and the Holy Spirit was upon Him."  (Luke 2:25)

Summary of RIGHTEOUSNESS (Old Testament) -- "The words 'righteous' and 'just' are used to translate the Hebrew yashar ('upright') and tsaddiq ('just').  In these words but one idea inheres: the righteous or just man is so called because he is right with God, and he is right with God because he has 'walked in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.' (Luke 1:6).  The OY righteous man was not sinless (Ecclesiastes 7:20) but one who, for his sins, trusted the coming Messiah and offered in faith the required sacrifice." -- C.I. Scofield

In verse 8, "His love" literally means "His own love".  Cross-reference -- "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believeth on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."  (John 3:16-17)

Regarding "sinners" (verse 8) I see in my Scofield Bible that there is much to be said about sin, but a summary is threefold: 1) an act, the violation of, or want of obedience to, the revealed will of God; 2) a state, absence of righteousness; 3) a nature, enmity toward God."

A= I've had many struggles with self-worth over the years.  It's been a recurring issue for me, and is on my list of character issues that I pray about on a regular basis.  Romans 5:8 has been one of the verses that has helped me with this. 

Another passage that has helped is 1 Peter 1:18-19 -- "Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things like silver and gold ... "But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot."

1 Corinthians 6:20 reminds me that "ye are bought with a price; therefore glorify God."

It has been a great blessing for me to to understand that God loved me enough to send His only Son to die a horrific death to pay for my sin.  My price tag literally reads "Jesus Christ."  

Therefore, I am of great worth in God's eyes.  Remembering this fact helps me to set myself aside so that God can use me in the lives of other people, and helps me to see them through His eyes of compassion and love.

P= "Lord, I thank You for this wonderful Scripture which reminds me that while I was still in my sin, Christ died for me.  This truly shows me the worth I have in your eyes -- that my price tag literally reads ""Jesus Christ".  I pray that You will help me to see others through Your eyes of compassion and love and to point them to You.  I thank You for all that You have done and all that You are doing, in Jesus' name, Amen."

There's the Sunday Scripture for this week!  I hope it was a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.