Sunday, September 03, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 


Here's another in my most recent Sunday Scripture series.  I've been posting about my simple study of a little devotional journal titled Reflections: The Woman God Sees., by Jane L. Fryar.   This was a journal my dear young friends Sam and Jennifer gave me as part of a set for a gift one year.  It has a daily devotional one works through -- I think around a month's worth.  It was a blessing to me when I worked through it, so I thought I would share here.

For this week, the featured passage was Psalm 37:3-4. The questions were asked:  "Which would you rather have from your Savior: The things your heart desires?  Or the desires He most wants you to have?  Why?"  I chose to SOAP Psalm 37:3-4 as I considered these questions.

S= "Trust in the LORD, and do good: So shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.

"Delight thyself also in the LORD, and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart."  (Psalm 37:3-4)

O=  Psalm 37 is a Psalm of David.  C.I. Scofield titles it "Trust in the LORD".  

There seem to be conditions here which, if they are met, certain things will result.

IF (or maybe SINCE) we trust in the LORD, and do good, THEN we will dwell in the land, and we will be fed. (verse 3)

IF (or SINCE) we delight ourselves in the LORD, He will give us the desires of our hearts.  (verse 4)

Concerning verse 3, Charles Spurgeon writes: "In 'the land which floweth with milk and honey'; the Canaan of the covenant.  Thou shalt not wander in the wilderness of murmuring, but abide in the promised land of content and rest.  'And verily thou shalt be fed', or shepherded ... The good shepherd will exercise His pastoral care over all believers.  In truth they shall be fed, and fed on truth."

Concerning verse 4, Spurgeon says, "A pleasant duty is here rewarded with another pleasure.  Men who delight in God ask for nothing but what will please God; hence it is safe to give them carte blanche.  Their will is subdued to God's will, and now they may have what they will.  Our innermost desires are here meant, not our casual wishes; .... these deep, prayerful, asking desires are those to which the promise is made."

A cross-reference for "trust in the LORD" (i.e. faith) is Psalm 84:12 -- "O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man who trusteth in Thee."

A cross-reference for "Delight thyself also in the LORD" is Isaiah 58:14 -- "Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob, thy father; for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it."

Cross-references for "desires of thine heart" include 

Psalm 145:18-19 -- "The LORD is near unto all those who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth.  He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He also will hear their cry, and will save them."

and

Matthew 7:7-8 -- "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you; For everyone that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened."

A= In answer to the question about which I would rather have from my Savior -- the things my heart desires, or the desires He most wants me to have -- and why, here is what I wrote:

"I would rather have the desires that my Savior wants me to have.  He made me and fashioned me.  He knows me inside and out, far better than I know myself.  He absolutely knows what is best for me, and I thank and praise Him for all of the good gifts that He gives (even those that have come disguised as trials), and for all that He is to me."

This little study brought back part of a chorus from my days teaching at a Christian school:

"Let the LORD be your delight;
Delight in Him both day and night.
Praise the Name you have confessed;
Commit, and trust, delight and rest."

P= "Lord, I thank and praise You that when I delight myself in You and all that You are, You give me the desires of my heart ... the desires that You want me to have.  I praise You that You know, far better than I do, what is best for me.  You know me inside and out, far better than I will ever know myself, so I can trust You to do what is best for me.  I praise You for all of this in Jesus' name, Amen."

There is the Sunday Scripture for this week!  I hope it was a blessing.

3 comments:

  1. What He wants me to have. He sees farther and knows better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my most favorite passages of scripture ever. Thank you for a wonderful study of it...which I totally agree with. I love how we can trust God with giving us the desires of our heart...He knows the true desires and how to discern between our wants and wishes and true desires. He will never lead us astray. We need to be willing to surrender our desires to His sweet control. We will never be disappointed when we do that. Great study today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. A good reminder to check our hearts and motives for what we ask. As to the question, I'd much rather have His desires for me; looking back I can see where God protected me by NOT answering prayers the way I had asked. In His love I gained so much more in how He answered.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.