Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A fun meal for the grandkids!

(Photo by Taste of Home)

Recently three of our young grandchildren -- ages 3, 5, and 7 -- were here for supper and the evening while their parents enjoyed a date night. Usually I don't get too fancy with meals for them -- pizza, maybe -- but this time I decided to try something else I thought they would enjoy. In a Simple & Delicious magazine I found the recipe for Bacon Provolone Chicken Sandwiches. I had some bacon I needed to use up, so this was perfect. I left out the onion, feeling that the kids would not care for that -- and I don't enjoy raw onions myself.

The same page in the magazine featured these Banana Split Fruit Salads as a side dish and I thought they would be fun for the kids also.
(Photo by Taste of Home)
(I used unsweetened frozen raspberries, thawed, for the garnish, since I won't pay the price for fresh ones. It worked out fine.) And I left off the nuts, too. I decided to cook some frozen French fries to fill out the meal. The kids loved those too; in fact, my grandson told me I needed to rename them "Grammy's Homemade French Fries" ( a title I'm somewhat uncomfortable with!).

This fueled them up for a fun evening with Grampa. Here's some of what they did:

Julia has fun with a borrowed scooter.

Sam learns to drive the lawn mower. His passengers look as if they are enjoying the ride!
I apologize for the blurriness of this photo. They were in motion, of course, but they sure weren't moving very fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.