Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Salad days of summer


As I've mentioned in previous posts, the weather this summer has been pretty consistently hot and humid.  That has meant a lot of main-dish salads at supper time and also for the weekly potlucks at church, and so I've tried several new salad recipes this summer.  I hope I can remember all of the ones I'd like to share with you.  We will see!

This Loaded Sweet Potato Tot Salad

Photo from Lemon Tree Dwelling
 from Lemon Tree Dwelling is one that I made a lot last year.  It's also good made with roasted cubes of sweet potato rather than the sweet potato tots.

One of this summer's favorites has been Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with cranberries and goat cheese.  This has gone over very well at the church potlucks.  It's so colorful!  I should add that I've only made this with butternut squash once.  The rest of the time I have roasted sweet potato cubes instead. 
Photo from Kelly's Ambitious Kitchen
 This is from  Kelly's Ambitious Kitchen.

Then the Greek Quinoa Salad from Your Home-Based Mom  is absolutely wonderful.

Photo from Your Home-Based Mom
This has been a huge hit everywhere I've taken it.  The Greek dressing recipe is worth making and keeping on hand for other uses. It's great on sliced tomatoes, or halved grape tomatoes.  I should also add that I don't use the garbanzo beans.  We don't get along, so I use small white beans, drained and rinsed, instead.

Lastly, and probably the top favorite, is the Loaded Chicken Taco Salad from Averie Cooks.
Photo from Averie Cooks
This is so good.  One friend at church told me I could bring this to the potluck every week and she would be happy.  The chicken component really needs to be warm for the salad to taste its best, so what I usually do for a potluck is to cook the chicken cubes in the taco seasoning at home, then transfer them to a mini crockpot to take along to the meal.  Something I have just done, but have not put to the test yet, is to cook chicken breasts with Mexican seasonings in a slow cooker.  I then cubed them up and froze them, in salad-sized servings,  in freezer bags to use in this salad.  We will see how it works out!

So those are a few of our favorite salads this summer.  You can find still more by clicking the "salads" label in the label cloud at right.  Enjoy!



6 comments:

  1. It's hard to tell if a comment goes through...if this is a duplicate, please delete. It sure was a summer for salads and these sound so tasty. Some seem very special indeed...love taco salad so this chicken one is speaking my name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No duplicate comments, so no worries, Vee! Yes, it was indeed a summer for salads and I made many of them. Do give the chicken taco salad a try -- it is fantastic.

      Happy September!

      Delete
  2. We love summer salads, too! I would never have thought of some of these! They all sound and look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try some of the recipes, Linda. They are so good.

      I know this is a very special day for you -- hope your first day of September has been a great one!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, what delicious looking salads! Each one has my mouth watering. Thank you for sharing, sweet friend.

    May your September be sweetly blessed. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy the salads if you try the recipes, Stephanie. They are so pretty and are truly deliciousl

      A blessed September to you as well!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.