Sunday, October 31, 2021

Sunday Scripture


Again, just a quick note for those who may be coming in late -- I've been posting each Sunday about a simple study of Psalms that I worked on throughout summer 2020.  It was a perfect study to be working on amid the uncertainties of that year -- and some of it was done sitting at picnic tables while camping in the midst of God's glorious creation.  There just couldn't have been a better backdrop --so awe-inspiring, and so many great reminders of God's amazing power and wisdom.

Although the study book covers all the rest of the book of Psalms, I only got as far as Psalm 129, so there won't be too many more posts in this series.  Some of you may be relieved!

This Psalms study is another from Good Morning Girls.  Although I love working on more in-depth Bible studies, these simpler ones are also a blessing to do.  In fact, once I finish the GMG Psalms study, I hope to tackle a more in-depth study of the same Psalms,  from the The Daily Grace Co.

 I like to use the SOAP method of Bible study, and the journal from GMG uses a very similar method.  I find this method a real blessing whether I am studying shorter passages or longer ones, so I hope you'll give it a try if you haven't ever done so. Just a reminder that the S is for Scripture -- just write it out -- and the O is for Observation, the A is for Application and the P is for prayer -- concerning how you'll apply this verse or praise for what it means to you.

Today's study is from Psalm 126.  Today we were to look at verse 5 in particular, but I chose to focus on both verses 3 and 5. 

S=  "The LORD hath done great things for us, whereof we are glad ...
       "They that sow in tears shall reap in joy."  (Psalm 126:3,5)

O= In the Scofield Reference Bible, C.I. Scofield titles this short Psalm "Remembrance of past blessing."  Verse 1 refers to the LORD bringing Zion back from captivity.  A cross-reference is Psalm 85:1 -- "Lord, Thou hast been favorable unto Thy land; Thou hast brought back the captivity of Jacob."  All that God had done in ending their captivity is included in the "great things" they were praising Him for.  This song may well have been sung on the ascending march from the Babylonian captivity to Jerusalem.  These captives had undoubtedly shed many tears over time.  They had sowed in tears, and now they were reaping joy!

A=  Our emotions are definitely involved with our faith.  God created us with emotions and obviously knows all about them.  Emotions are alluded to countless times in Scripture, and very frequently in Psalms.  

No matter the situation we might be weeping over, we can trust God to get us through it, and to work out His good purpose in it. The time will come when joy will return, and and we will be able to testify, "The LORD hath done great things for us, whereof we are glad."

P=  "Lord, I am so thankful for the great things You have done for me.  There have been many times in my life that I have sown in tears.  I've seen You bring me through very difficult situations and then restore my joy again.  I pray that You will help me to trust in You through every difficulty of life, including this difficult season of coronavirus.  I know that one day I will reap in joy and will took back and testify of Your greatness and care.  I thank You for that and for all things, in Jesus' name, Amen."

And there is this week's Sunday Scripture!  I hope it's been a blessing to someone.

1 comment:

  1. I think I will start this study from the beginning. I just came across this post. Thank you for planting the seed and I look forward to getting my own GMS study book.💖

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.