Sunday, July 31, 2022

Sunday Scripture

 

Image from Love God Greatly

Again this Sunday, I'm sharing from the Made for Community reading plan from Love God Greatly that I worked on back in 2015.  With this study, as I have often done, I used the SOAP method of Bible study.  Just a quick reminder that the S is for Scripture, O is for Observation, A is for Application and P is for Prayer.  The third section is Made for Community with Family.  So here we go with the Scripture for the third day of that section. 

S= "And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." (Joshua 24:15)

O= Chapters 23 and 24 of the book of Joshua contain Joshua's final message to the children of Israel.  In chapter 24, verses 1 through 13, he reviews Israel's history, going all the way back to Abraham.  He reviews all that God has done for them.  Therefore, with all this in view, Joshua challenges the people to fear the Lord, to serve Him in sincerity and truth -- to put away their pagan gods and serve the LORD.  

In verse 15 he challenges the people to make a choice.  Will it be the LORD (v. 14) or will it be the gods of their ancestors or the pagan gods of the land they now dwell in?  

As for Joshua and his family, they would serve the LORD.

Several cross-references are given for "as for me and my house":

GENESIS 18:19, where God says of Abraham: "For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of justice; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which He hath spoken of him."

PSALM 101:2 -- "I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way: I will walk within my house with a perfect heart."

It's very important to note here, as C.I. Scofield does, that this word "perfect" implies "wholeheartedness for God, singlemindedness, sincerity -- not sinless perfection."

1 TIMOTHY 3:4-5 -- speaking of qualifications for elders and deacons, Paul writes: "One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity (for if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?"

A= It's important for husbands, as the heads of the home, to lead their families in the right direction, as Abraham, Joshua, and the New Testament church leaders as specified by Paul, purposed to do.  I think, also, that it's very important to walk within one's house (as the psalmist put it) with a sincere heart to honor God.  Our families need to see us choosing God's ways at every opportunity, especially in our interactions with them.  I once heard a speaker say,

"What you are at home is what you are."

And that is certainly very true.  Do my words, my actions and reactions, even my tone of voice, reflect a heart to follow God?

P= "Lord, I thank You once again for the practicality of Your Word and how it carries through common themes in both Old and New Testaments.  It is such a blessing to have the opportunity to study your Word and to see how it applies to my life.  I am in awe of how this particular study, and especially this week's Scriptures, is relevant to my life.  Help me to live out my love for You at home, I pray in Jesus' name, Amen."

There is this week's simple but profoundly meaningful study.  I hope it's been a blessing to someone today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.