Sunday, January 15, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 


Again this Sunday, I'm sharing from the Made for Community reading plan from Love God Greatly that I worked on back in 2015.  With this study, as I have often done, I used the SOAP method of Bible study.  Just a quick reminder that the S is for Scripture, O is for Observation, A is for Application and P is for Prayer.  The seventh section is Living in Community in Our World.  So here we go with the Scripture for the fifth day of that section. 

S= ""Go ye, therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,
"Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you; and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age.  Amen."  (Matthew 28:19-20)

O= After Jesus' resurrection, He met His disciples on a mountain in Galilee.  Verse 19 begins "Go ye, therefore". Whenever we see that word "therefore", we need to ask ourselves what it is "there for."  In this case, Jesus has just declared in verse 18, "All authority is given unto Me in heaven and in earth."

Since Jesus has all authority, He can commission His people to do His bidding.  So His disciples are commissioned to go and and teach all nations.  A cross-reference of Mark 1:1 clarifies what we are to teach them:  "the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God".

After these new believers have accepted Christ, we are to baptize them "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit".  Then they will need more teaching so they will continue to grow spiritually.  They must learn God's Word so they can observe all things that Jesus has commanded His followers to do.  The cross-reference below reminds us, 

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."  (2 Timothy 3:16)

Back to our passage in Matthew: Jesus then promises that He will be with His people always, "even unto the end of the age."  

Several cross-references from the book of Acts show instances of this:

"And when they had prayed ... they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the Word of God with boldness."  (Acts 4:31)

"For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee; for I have many people in this city."  (Acts 18:10)

And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul; for as thou hast testified of Me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome." (Acts 23:11)

This is really neat, to see the fulfillment of Jesus' words.  He truly was with His people as they followed through on His command to go and teach all nations.

A=  The great commission is the same for me today as it was for Jesus' disciples.  I also am to be sharing the Gospel with all people and helping to disciple those who believe.  As I do, I have the promise that Jesus will be with me always.

P= "Lord, once again I am so thankful for Your Word and how it instructs us.  I have read these verses many times in my Christian life and have heard numerous messages on them, but I am so thankful for how the SOAP method helped me to dig into the passage for myself.  I thank You for an opportunity yesterday at the supermarket and how you gave me not only an opportunity but the words to say.  Thank You for how You will continue to work in this area, and for Your abiding presence with me.  In Jesus' name, Amen."

That's the study for today!  I hope it was a blessing.

2 comments:

  1. I love this passage of scripture, and as a matter of fact we quoted the last part of it this morning in Sunday School, talking about Jesus always being with us. Our lesson was on encouragement, and there can be no better words of encouragement than that...knowing that GOD is ALWAYS with us, no matter what!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Scripture studies are always interesting and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.