Sunday, January 08, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 


Again this Sunday, I'm sharing from the Made for Community reading plan from Love God Greatly that I worked on back in 2015.  With this study, as I have often done, I used the SOAP method of Bible study.  Just a quick reminder that the S is for Scripture, O is for Observation, A is for Application and P is for Prayer.  The seventh section is Living in Community in Our World.  So here we go with the Scripture for the fourth day of that section. 

S= "Which, now, of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbor to him that fell among thieves?
"And he said, He that showed mercy on him.  Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise."  (Luke 10:36-37)

O=  This parable of the Good Samaritan is Jesus' answer to the questions of "a certain lawyer" in verses 25-29.  He had asked what he should do to inherit eternal life.  Jesus replied by asking this man what the law said about that.  The lawyer correctly answered, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, soul, strength, and mind, and thy neighbor as thyself."  

Jesus told him his answer was right and added, "This do, and thou shalt live."  But the lawyer, seeking to justify himself, questioned Jesus further, asking, "And who is my neighbor?"  This parable is Jesus' answer.  

Upon finishing the story, Jesus asked the lawyer which of the three -- the priest, the Levite, or the Samaritan -- was neighbor to the man who fell among thieves.  The lawyer responded, "He that showed mercy to him."  This would obviously be the Samaritan.  Jesus then told the lawyer, "Go, and do thou likewise."

A couple of cross-references are:

"He that despiseth his neighbor sinneth; but he that hath mercy on the poor, happy is he."   (Proverbs 14:21)

"But go and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice; for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners unto repentance."

A= God wants me to show mercy to others, also.  There are so many in need today.  Whether it is persecuted believers on the other side of the world, or people living in poverty in my own community, God would have me to show mercy on them.  He doesn't want us to turn a blind eye to their need.  Sometimes showing mercy will involve giving money -- as to the disabled veterans or Teen Challenge outside Wal*Mart or to Samaritan's Purse to aid those escaping persecution or natural disasters.

Other times, it will mean sharing goods, like donating food to a food pantry or household goods to the homeless shelter.  Sometimes it means sharing meals, rides, or even big things like a car or a home with other people.  Often, it will mean fervent prayer for the needs of people.  Whatever it takes, God wants us to show mercy and to love others as we do ourselves.

P= "Lord, I know that You would have me to love others as myself and show mercy to them.  Thank You for helping me to understand that my neighbor may be thousands of miles away, but I still have an obligation to help in prayer and/or giving if I'm aware of his need.  Help me to be faithful in doing this, I pray in Jesus' name, Amen."

That's the study for this week.  It was a challenge to me .. maybe it will be to others, as well.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. Even if we can't do something physical, we can always pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Every Sunday when I pray for our church services, I also take time to pray for Christians who are undergoing persecution and those in prison or in labor camps. It sounds like a small thing, but I am trusting that it is making a difference in the lives of some of those in such hard places.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.