Wednesday, April 19, 2023

The Hodgepodge 500

  It's Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.  This week marks the 500th Hodgepodge, which is pretty impressive in my book.   Here are the questions (which I found particularly challenging this week):

1. Last time you drove/flew 500 miles (ish)? What's a place you'd like to visit that lies approximately 500 miles from your current location? 

Last long trip would have been spring of 2021 when we flew to Nevada with granddaughter Julia to surprise granddaughter Emily for her 13th birthday.   We are hoping for a trip to Florida later this year to visit friends, and we also have a train trip we'd like to take this year.  We will see how all of that plays out.
Julia, Grampa and some of the others at the taco truck in 2021

Lots of games took place on the living room floor in our 2021 visit

2. Tell us about a time recently it felt like you were 'racing against the clock'. 

Getting ready to have guests over for Sunday lunch.  We used to do this nearly every week when we had  speakers coming in to do pulpit supply for our church, and pretty much had it down to a science.  We thought we were busy then!  Planning a workable meal for right after church was relatively easy, but we had been out of town all day Friday so most of our prep work and cleaning happened on Saturday.

I love using vintage dishes to serve guests.

3. Have you ever attended any really large sporting events? What was your impression of the experience?  

The Superbowl, The Kentucky Derby, The World Series, FIFA World Cup, The Indianapolis 500, The Daytona 500, The Olympics, The Masters, Wimbledon, The Boston Marathon, March Madness, Tour de France, Monaco's Grand Prix, The Open (golf), The Ryder Cup, The Stanley Cup Finals..of the events listed which would you most like to attend in person? Or maybe one that's not listed? 

I have not ever attended any large sporting events and honestly don't feel I have missed anything.  I've been to Fenway Park a few times for Red Sox games, but that is about the extent of any sporting events.  Of those listed, the World Series interests me most but I'm fine with watching it on TV (a few times, we've been on a vacation or getaway during the World Series, so had a TV to watch it on).

Then again, who would want to watch the World Series when one had a view like this?

4. Are you an iced tea drinker? If so, do you drink it year round, or only in the spring and summer months? Do you make your own or buy it bottled? Sweet or unsweet? Flavored? Lemon or no lemon? How about a Long Island Iced Tea? 

I do love iced tea and could drink it year round, but am more apt to drink it in the spring and summer. (As a kid, I always requested iced tea as part of my birthday supper in January.  My mom's homemade iced tea.)  I prefer unsweetened iced tea with lemon, but now and then a bottle of flavored iced tea can really hit the spot on a hot day -- like peach or raspberry.  I had to look up Long Island Iced Tea.  No, thanks.


5. April 20th is Volunteer Recognition Day...do you volunteer in some way? Tell us about it. If not, tell us about a volunteer you appreciate.

My hubby and I do volunteer.  We have always done so, really, teaching Sunday School and serving in other capacities in our church for years and years. Now that he has retired, we volunteer regularly at a Christian camp.  He has lots of expertise in painting, carpentry, drywall and other building skills -- he's a practical fellow who can do almost anything, really (except computer tasks -- he's technology-challenged).  My own skills lie mostly in just having a willing pair of hands. I do lots of cleaning tasks plus things like inventorying or whatever else they ask me to do.)

These spring flowers are from last year at The Wilds of New England.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Thinking today about balance.  It's hard to juggle everything.  I was folding laundry today and came to this dish towel.  I nearly cried thinking about how I love embroidery and how little time I find for it anymore.  Still, one must focus on God's purposes for the available time each day -- and I am truly hoping there will be needlework in heaven for those who are so inclined.

And that's the Hodgepodge for this week!

7 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I too enjoy using vintage dishes when serving guests. My friends always tell me how fun it is to come for dinner, tea or dessert at our home, because it is always done with love. I think the vintage adds to the charm.
    I too have been wrestling with balance. With the garden season upon me, things move so quick, it is hard to keep up.
    Carla

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Balance is really important and as much as my husband and I constantly stress it for our kids, I often forget it for myself. I push too hard for too long then collapse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too hope there's lots of crafting in heaven : ) Growing up we often had friends/guests/ visitors for Sunday lunch. I'm sure it was a lot of work for my mom but it was something we looked forward to. We ate in the dining room and that was special. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for keeping the Sunday lunch tradition alive! Your list of volunteering is commendable, too. You made me think of my little babushka with one hand who did beautiful embroidery. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you enjoy having people in your home and practicing the gift of hospitality. I used to do a lot more of it, especially when we were still in the ministry. Lately I haven't done as much due to some physical issues that have made it more difficult for me to do a lot of extra "stuff" like that. But when we do, it is usually a "community affair" where everyone pitches in and brings something and helps with meal in some tangible way. That helps me a lot and we always enjoy the fellowship around the table. I love the vintage items, and that dish towel is so sweet. I have some very old ones that my hubby's grandmother made and they are special treasures. Right now time management is important for me as well, since our grandson and fiancee' have come to spend some time with us. They are very helpful, but still there is more to think about in planning meals, etc. But it's all been good and we are very thankful to have them here with us. I enjoyed your post so much as I always do. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sunday lunches can feel like a race against the clock sometimes! I really have to plan ahead to feel like I can pull it off. I love your embroidered tea towel. It reminds me of many my Grandma and Mom had. Happy Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading all your thoughts. I feel the same way about crocheting; I'd love to have more time to work on (and finish) projects. Crafting is so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.