Wednesday, April 12, 2023

April 12 hodgepodge

 

 It's Wednesday again, and time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.  This week's Hodgepodge questions cover a variety of topics.   Here goes:

 1. April 13th is National Scrabble Day...are you a fan? Do you enjoy word games in general? What's an eight letter word that tells us something about your life currently?

Oh yes, I am very much a Scrabble fan.   (I'm also a fan of these Scrabble players, below, at our camp a few years ago.  It has come so far since then!)  I do enjoy word games in general, too.  How about a nine-letter word?  S-T-R-E-T-C-H-E-D.

 
2.  Do you have a junk drawer? Is it full? Do you know what's in it? What's in it? 

I do have a junk drawer -- and one at the cottage, too.  The one at the cottage is fuller and contains a bit more.   Mostly the junk drawers contain things like pens, pencils, sharpies, scissors, rulers, tape, stapler/staples, etc.   The one at home is fairly organized, but I'm thinking seriously of seeing if I can make it resemble the one below.

Oh, that my junk drawer looked like this!  This one's from Pixabay.

3. When does time pass quickly for you? When does it pass slowly? 

Time passes quickly almost all the time these days.  Only exception might be during a dental appointment.   It seems that everything takes longer than it used to, and before I know it a substantial amount of time has passed rather quickly.

 


4. These eight vegetables are in season during spring-asparagus, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, collard greens, garlic, herbs. What's your favorite? Any on the list you refuse to eat? Last one on the list you ate? 

My favorite on the list is probably asparagus. There are no vegetables on this list that I refuse to eat.  Last one on this list I ate would have been carrots with honey, butter and thyme at Easter dinner.

The carrot dish didn't exactly look like this, but close enough.

5. What's the oldest thing you own? Tell us about it. 

I will have to think about that for awhile.   I'm not really sure.  I have some cards and other things from the 1930s, and even some older than that.  Pretty sure I have some postcards from the early 1900s, and a bracelet from the same era that was my grandmother's.  I may even have some older things, but I am not sure.

The advertising card above was from my great-aunt's collection, as was the Bible verse below.  I am not sure of the age of these cards, but am guessing early 1900s.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

It's nice to have some warmer temps.  We were able to have our large screened windows (and all of the other windows) open at the cottage yesterday and it was just so nice.   I hear that cooler weather is to return next week (and there are still piles of snow under the aforementioned windows) but for now it's wonderful and we are enjoying it.

 
And that's the Hodgepodge for this week!

10 comments:

  1. Good Morning! I love that open window picture above! So happy you are enjoying some fresh air again! I know the weather has been kind of odd lately, even here in Florida. I guess that is typical for spring. I love those old vintage cards. So very beautifully created. And I love seeing the family around the cottage table playing Scrabble! Such fun. That "junk drawer" picture is certainly a dream junk drawer! Oh to be so organized! Our house does not have a plethora of drawers, so my "junk drawer" is more like a junk basket, where I keep things like scotch tape, oddball stuff like a small pencil sharpener, a tape measure, small sticky note pads, spare batteries, rubber bands, and whatever else happens to fall into that basket. Re: vegetables, the last vegetables I ate was a tossed salad last night, with lettuce, spinach, carrots, zucchini and tomatoes. Your cooked carrots look delicious. We did have steamed carrots and broccoli a couple of nights ago. I am slow getting around to visit since our grandson and fiancee' are here from Maine! What a blessing it is indeed. Thank you for your kind comment on my post. We are enjoying every minute. God is definitely working in this event... (but prayers would be appreciated as they seek work and try to figure out their future...) Have a blessed and beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I and one other person aside from you have said asparagus; that stuff if great right??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. love the pictures of the cards. My family loves scrabble too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to time spent in the dentist's chair! I've a pretty good imagination, but it's a real struggle to distract myself. I was just looking through some of those vintage cards in my grandmother's jewelry box this morning. 'Twas a more elegant time, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to be able to throw open the windows! Still waiting for that here. Love your 8 letter word! Sweet photo of the scrabble players! That drawer is so neat and tidy. Happy day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those postcards are pretty. Nice Hodgepodge post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really is nice to have the windows open! I finally figured out how to get an upstairs window open today and it was lovely. Enjoyed your answers today - Happy Hodgepodge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to say that junk drawer was much too organized. I do love your photos.. The cards are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was about to be jealous when I saw what I thought was your junk drawer lol. Mine is semi organized thanks to my uber organized hubs. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your answers from last week. I love asparagus. Yes, the dentist chair slows time for sure..uggh. Also, you reminded me that I do have some old postcards that my grandpa sent to his parents when he was in the military.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.