Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Icing on the Hodgepodge

 

It's Wednesday again, and that means it's time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.     Here goes!

 1. What's a change you'd like or need to make this year? 

To begin a simple exercise program that will strengthen more of my muscles.  I walk a lot and my legs and thighs show that, but I need to seriously work at strengthening other areas.  Like my arms and core, for instance.  Another important change I want to make this year is to, finally, declutter and downsize the entire house.  High property taxes may mean a move at some point down the road, and if that happens it will be to a smaller place, so I need to be much more ready than I am right now.

A flooded brook turned to ice near my childhood home, some years back.

2. Break the ice, on thin ice, ice skating, tip of the iceberg, ice cold...which icy idiom applies to your life right now? Explain. 

I think I'll say tip of the iceberg.   See the declutter and downsize goal above.  I've done some decluttering and downsizing, but it is the tip of the iceberg.  Another way this applies is to the mountain of items still to sell in my Etsy shop.  I've made nearly 700 sales and this is exciting, but oh -- the amount of vintage paper is almost overwhelming.

3. What's a project you've been putting off? Will you get to it this month? This year?

Starting pillow quilts for my two youngest granddaughters.  I would like to think I will get to it this month.

A past pillow quilt unfolded.
Same pillow quilt folded.
A space-themed pillow quilt unfolded.  Guess I don't have a picture of it folded.  This was a glow in the dark fabric panel if I remember right.
A Curious George pillow quilt, folded.  I've made pillow quilts for all the other grands, so it's obvious I need to complete these last two.

4. Of the fruits that grow well in winter which ones have you tried? Which is your favorite? 

pomegranates, clementines, persimmons, passion fruit, pears, grapefruit, lemons, pomelos, kumquats

 I have tried pomegranates, clementines, passion fruit, pears, grapefruit, lemons and pomelos.  I think of all of them probably grapefruit is my favorite.


5. What do you think it means to be courageous? 

My word for the year in 2019 was courage.   So logically enough I looked at definitions as I approached that word.   Here's what the dictionary said:


I thought it meant quite a bit more, so I looked it up in a Bible dictionary too.

Here is the definition from Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary: "the strength of purpose that enables one to withstand fear or difficulty.  Physical courage is based on moral courage -- a reliance on the presence and power of God and a commitment to His commandments."

I like that quite a bit better.  So I would define courageous thusly:   Having the strength of purpose, based on a reliance on God's presence, power, and promises, and commitment to Him and His Word that enables one to withstand fear or difficulty or even face death bravely.

Graphic from Abby at Little Birdie Blessings

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Whew, after that definition almost anything else would feel random.  I think I'll share a couple of skating cards from my collection.  (The Valentine at question 2 is listed in my Etsy shop.)  I bought the one below in a stationery store in the late 1990s specifically to display  it.

"My warmest memories of winters past: A snowman, hot chocolate and skating fast."
I've always loved the scene above.  From my personal collection of vintage cards.
 

Another skating scene from my personal collection, this one with a city theme, which the two below also have.


The two skating scenes above were in my Etsy shop, but sold during November and December.

And that's the icing on the Hodgepodge for this week!

10 comments:

  1. I love ice skating scenes, though I have done it exactly one time and hated it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your definition of courage. It is definitely needed in this topsy turvy world. Good luck with your decluttering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I love the ice skating scenes, I remember skating at our little outdoor rink in my small town growing up.
    I also appreciate that you shared the definition of COURAGE with us, COURAGE is my word for 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, 700 sales sounds very impressive to me. Thanks for stopping by today, always fun to meet another blogger. I loved your definition of courage. I seem to be constantly getting rid of things as I know that we will downsize at some point and the more I can do now, the easier it will be. Blessings abundant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great definition of courage. So many of us are on the decluttering theme and more exercise theme. Love all the illustrations you shared at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed my visit here tonight. I like the vintage Christmas you shared. I will have to check out your Etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A strength of purpose....I really like that definition! I would say I am need of more courage as I start this new year. What a fun project - working on the pillow quilts. A great way to spend the winter time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those pillow quilts are wonderful and creative! I love all the vintage paper and cards you share! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Decluttering has featured in a lot of blog posts as we enter 2024. Love the cards, especially the 2nd one with the vintage ice skating scene.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.