Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Taking a tip from the Hodgepodge

 

It's Wednesday again, and that means it's time for the Hodgepodge -- the linkup where Joyce, at  From This Side of the Pond, asks the questions and bloggers provide the answers on their own blogs.     Here goes!

1. Do you have a word for the year (WOTY)? If so, and you'd like to share, please share. How do you decide on a word? If you don't have a word are you still on the hunt for one for 2024? 

I have chosen a word for the year, but haven't posted about it yet.  I want to try and sort out many of the nuances of the word and note how I plan to apply it throughout the year.  The word I've chosen is continue.  

Beautiful graphic by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
 
As to how I decide on a word --  I consider prayerfully whether or not God wants me to choose a word for the year.  Sometimes He doesn't show me one, but other times He either impresses a word on my heart or just drops one into my thinking. 

2. January 23rd is National Pie Day...will you celebrate? Do you like pie? What's your favorite? 

I do like pie, but I'm currently in the middle of a 40-day sugar fast so am not likely to be celebrating.  My favorite pie?  Oh, that's a tough one.  I make an Apple Crumb Pie that is scrumptious, and a Reese's Pie (peanut butter, chocolate pudding, chocolate whipped cream)  and a Red, White and Blueberry Pie that we really like.  Any of those might be my favorite.  This post has all three of those recipes in it.

3. Tipping. What are your thoughts, expectations, as to who, when where? Do you appreciate a store/restaurant giving a 'suggested amount'? Have you ever left an extravagant tip? 

20% is the most we will ordinarily tip (but at times we are more generous if the service was exceptional) and generally I think most service we receive is worth tipping 20% for. I don't think we have ever had service so bad it deserved no tip, but we have been known to leave a very small tip if the service is abysmal.  And a very generous tip at other times.  Never left an extravagant one, though.

I don't appreciate "suggested amounts" or the payment systems that have you tipping people who basically did nothing, in establishments where tipping is not usually a thing.

Check out this adorable ceramic travel mug I found at our local thrift store!

4. Share with us one household 'tip' that works for you. 

I'll do even better!  Here's a whole post on some kitchen tips.  I wrote it in 2021 at Christmas time, but these kitchen tips will come in handy any time of year. 

Evidently having the freezer on the bottom of the fridge is not a new idea.  Ad from a 1950s magazine!

5. Influencers on social media are people who've built a reputation for their knowledge and expertise on a particular subject. Do you follow any influencers online? Have you made a purchase or tried something new because of that 'influence'? If there's one you particularly enjoy tell us who they are and why you enjoy them. 

I may follow one or two influencers on Instagram, but I can't think of one I particularly enjoy or have made a purchase, tried something new, etc. based on their recommendation.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

Tuesday, January 23 (when I'm writing this) is the New Hampshire presidential primary.  Really no idea how it's going to turn out.  Things I liked about the voting process: it was quick; our town has its own "I voted" stickers which feature a covered bridge and are more original than what we usually see; and the 8th grade bake sale outside.  Things that annoyed me: there's a table where you check in.  This used to be done by alphabet, but no more, which is fine, but confusing.  So, there are six people sitting at this table; they work in teams of two.  Theoretically one would go to the team where there's no line, in order to move things along efficiently.  Person after person went to that team, only to be told, "We're processing absentee ballots".  Okay, fine, good for you, but  how about something novel like a little sign that says "Please use first two lines only" or even "Absentee ballot processing in progress".  

And there's the Hodgepodge for this week!

9 comments:

  1. I will check out your tips when I have a few minutes later today. I like your word. Lots of possibilities there. When I've had a word I find at the end of the year the word has taken me unexpected directions. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The voting situation sounded very annoying. Freezers on the bottom in the 50's...who knew? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That voting sticker is very unique. I have a bottom freezer now. I will have to visit your link. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ceramic travel mug. :-)
    I like your word.
    Here is to a great rest of the week.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the 60's I knew several families that had the freezer on the bottom refrigerators. I always liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mug is cute! I've worked at elections in my state for years. We do absentee ballots in sequestered rooms at the township hall, and those people don't leave the building all day :O

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your post...good tips! LOL. I love your word "continue", and can imagine God will be showing you many applications as the year goes by..."to be continued..." I never really liked the freezer on the bottom idea. I use a lot of ice here in Florida, and it's difficult to have an ice maker in a bottom freezer. We now have a side by side fridge, and really like it! Have a blessed and wonderful rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the voting sticker you received. Our churches theme this year is 'take the next step'. I like the word continue, too. Good for you for persevering on your 40 day sugar fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your word for the year. those pies you make sound really good. I'll take a slice of each. I love that travel mug!! I loved our visit to NH when we went in 2022

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.