Saturday, April 06, 2024

Random thoughts on a Saturday

 

Beautiful graphic by Abby at Little Birdie Blessings

 Just a few minutes to blog today so I will just share a few random things.  

🌿  I wanted to share the carrot recipe I used on Easter.  I changed it a lot and can't now remember where I found it, but will share it as I made it.

ORANGE-MAPLE GLAZED CARROTS

1 1/3 cup orange juice (I purchased a small bottle of the fresh squeezed juice from the supermarket), divided use
2 pounds baby carrots
1/3 cup maple syrup
Freshly grated nutmeg
1/3 cup butter
2 Tablespoons cornstarch

Place 1/3 cup of the orange juice in a small bowl or custard cup and set aside.

Pour remaining 1 cup of orange juice into a medium saucepan and heat to boiling.  Add the carrots and stir to coat with juice.  Cover and cook for 15 minutes or so.  Stir in the maple syrup, freshly grated nutmeg to taste (recipe called for 1 teaspoon, but I wasn't sure how the kids would go for it, so I used probably 1/2 teaspoon or a little less), and the butter.  Stir until butter melts; cook, uncovered for another 10 minutes or so, or until nearly tender.  

Mix the cornstarch into the reserved orange juice; mix well and stir into the carrot mixture.  Cook, stirring, until mixture thickens somewhat.  If you think you'd like it thicker, mix up some more cornstarch in a little water or juice and add that.  (The cornstarch was my addition as I didn't think the carrots could be described as "glazed" at all.  Just carrots cooked in orange juice.)

Makes about 6 to 8 servings.  We thought they had a very nice flavor and made a good side for Easter dinner.

 🌿  Just looked at a writing prompt for today.  One was to list 5 things blooming in their garden.  Sadly, my garden is under inches of snow.  Possibly some shoots are up, like bloodroot or maybe even daffodils.  But they are not visible.

🌿  I'm getting back into making kombucha.  So far, so good!  

🌿 Cleaning the attic is proceeding apace!  We try to do a little bit every week and think we are a little over half done.   We are doing this by bringing boxes down a section at a time, and going through them in the living room where it's warmer and more roomy.  The stuff we save! I believe my hubby said that almost everything left up there still to go through is in plastic totes, so that will be a lot easier.  The cardboard boxes we've been going through have been such a mess.  Mice have really had their way up there for years.

Several of the local grands had been planning to help us with this project (and they may yet get in on it, or on the garage attic when we do that) but I am really just as glad they were quite busy with other things the past few weeks.  Dealing with mouse nests and food caches is just messy.

🌿  I finally finished the study Stand Firm, the Daily Grace Co. study on the armor of God.  What a blessing!  I think I will start their study on the book of Habakkuk next.


🌿 For those who are thinking something looks a little different with my blog, apparently The Cutest Blog on the Block, where I had obtained the blog background I'd had for years, is no more.  I can't tell you how shocked I was, at the end of a volunteer work day on Tuesday, to find the backgrounds missing from both of my blogs, and The Cutest Blog on the Block domain name apparently available for the taking.  

What to do?  I liked those backgrounds a whole lot!  The next day I did a little looking around and I am moderately pleased with what I found for my Christmas blog, but I'm not really crazy about the one for my Kitchen Table.  It will do for now, however.

All right, back to the kitchen!  Our local daughter had a birthday yesterday, and we are celebrating with supper this evening. 

4 comments:

  1. I have been hearing about putting on the full armor of God a lot lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The carrot recipe sounds good...I've never tried it with the orange juice added, but have added the maple syrup to butter and glazed the carrots before. I love cooked carrots just about any way you can fix them! Your attic project sounds "interesting", especially with the mouse "interference"...That could make for some interesting boxes to sort through. Hope you don't bring the mice downstairs with you! LOL. That could be a real surprise! We don't have an attic in this house as it is a manufactured home. But we do have a shed full of boxes/bins, and also some closets that need to be gone through and decluttered. I definitely need to get motivated to do that. In the past we've moved a lot and that was our cue to eliminate extra stuff, but this last move happened too quickly to have time to do anything like that, and so we just moved everything with us and there it still sits in the storage shed and closets. We've been here almost 5 years, so I guess it's time to do something about it. Thank you for the inspiration! Have a lovely rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Your blog background looks great, I think! I don't ever change mine...too lazy I guess, but I feel like my header, etc. defines my blog better so I just keep it the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cleaning out all the stuff! It is quite a chore and we too have kept way too much over the years. One thing in all the years of cleaning I have noted is that I think there were some decades in there when I just plain and simply bought too much. I am much more careful now. Another thing is I should have just picked out 1 or 2 items in some of those plastic bins instead of all that I did. I am going to continually sort and give things away or throw away to save my kids from having so much to deal with one day. And I am sure even with all my efforts there will be too much. I don't even think I have the motivation to try and change up my blog right now, but I do remember The Cutest Blog pages.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.