Friday, January 11, 2008

Favorite Ingredients Friday for January 11


Today’s focus for Favorite Ingredients Friday is on Pies. We love pies! Pies are one of my favorite things to make. For today, I’ve chosen a recipe which I may have shared before, but it bears repeating. I thought it would be a good recipe to share in January, because it calls for simple pantry ingredients, not seasonal fruits.

REESE’S PIE

2 packages cook-and-serve type chocolate pudding
4 cups milk
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 9-inch baked pie crust, cooled
1 to 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, whipped with 2 Tablespoons confectioners sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

In a large saucepan, combine the pudding mixes and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, cut the peanut butter into the confectioners sugar until small crumbs form. Set aside about 2 Tablespoons of the crumbs -- put them in a custard cup or something. (It will be awhile before you use them.) Sprinkle all the rest of the crumbs into the bottom of the pie crust. Pour the pudding over the crumbs. Refrigerate the pie until the pudding is set. It will be cold. Spread the whipped cream over the top and sprinkle the reserved crumbs on top. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

In our family, we call this “Reese’s Pie” because it reminds us of a pie by that name which we used to eat at a Vermont truck stop. I’m not sure, but I think the whipped cream on their pie had some cocoa added. It was chocolate, anyway. If you want to try that, whip in 3 or 4 Tablespoons of baking cocoa along with the sugar and vanilla; add 2 more Tablespoons confectioners sugar too since the cocoa is not sweetened.

9 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Renee'
    http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just can't go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter. Thansk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son would absolutely love this. We both love chocolate and pb so it is sure to be a favorite. Thanks bunches, have a great day and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:45 PM

    I need to try this. I think my kids would love it. I have a similar recipe for something called Chocolate Lush...not a pie really but so yummy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh I am going to have to make this one! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, my husband is going to LOVE this one! He's a huge fan of Reeses Peanut Butter cups.

    Thanks so much, Mrs. T, for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday Pie edition recipe exchange. I do appreciate it.

    I hope to see you again next Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ladies,

    So nice to see you all here at my kitchen table! This is an absolutely wonderful pie and I am sure if your families enjoy chocolate and peanut butter, they will rave about this. Real whipped cream is important to the taste of this pie, so I don't recommend substituting whipped topping. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my this sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you enjoy it, Aunt Murry! There is nothing like Reese's Pie, in my book!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.